PDA

View Full Version : how to change water in a big tank!

brad8909
08/13/2011, 04:21 PM
I have a 125 gallon tank and it takes me forever to do a water chance filling up five gallon buckets at a time then mixing the salt in! Is there anyway to speed this up to make it easyier on me!

shaginwagon13
08/13/2011, 04:41 PM
For my last tank (180 gallons) I used this pump:

http://www.justwaterpumps.com/Little-Giant-5-MSP-LGP1271.html

I put it in the sump and would pump out however much water I wanted to take out and then I would pump the water back into the sump.

For my new tank I'm going to plumb a gate valve that runs off the return line from the pump so when I want to do a water change I can open the valve, do the change and then fill the sump back up.

dzfish17
08/13/2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, there are alot of ways to save time. I empty out 40g of water from my tank in a few min. by a tee and valve off of the closed loop. The new saltwater is mixed in a brute trash can and put back in from a pump in the bottom. I have it on a switch so the whole process only takes about 10 min. It needs to be easy so that you dont mind doing it.

lordofthereef
08/13/2011, 04:45 PM
You are going to need a large container to mix your water in. Many like using brute trash cans, although I would recommend something food grade myself. It really depends on the space you have available. Some have a mixing station in their basement, others need to make due in their home, perhaps even next to the tank.

shaginwagon13
08/13/2011, 05:05 PM
You are going to need a large container to mix your water in. Many like using brute trash cans, although I would recommend something food grade myself. It really depends on the space you have available. Some have a mixing station in their basement, others need to make due in their home, perhaps even next to the tank.

+1

I use two 50 gallon drums in my fish room: 1 for RO/DI water and one I keep filled with salt water

http://www.mysprayer.com/images/50-gal-drum.jpg

brad8909
08/13/2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah, there are alot of ways to save time. I empty out 40g of water from my tank in a few min. by a tee and valve off of the closed loop. The new saltwater is mixed in a brute trash can and put back in from a pump in the bottom. I have it on a switch so the whole process only takes about 10 min. It needs to be easy so that you dont mind doing it.

Can u show me an exaple of what this looks like! This would make things so much easier

plasmacon
08/13/2011, 07:04 PM

Brute trash cans that are food grade say so on the can itself. Mine are gray, and they are for food service, 44 gallons, $40 at lowes I think. I don't remember what they cost.

pmrossetti
08/13/2011, 07:07 PM
watch parts 1 and 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_1KfDx2W3Y

dzfish17
08/13/2011, 07:21 PM
Can u show me an exaple of what this looks like! This would make things so much easier

I dont have any pics but its not that hard to do. You just have to add a pvc tee and ball valve into the line from your main pump to a sink. This takes care of getting the water out.

Drop a submersible pump into the bottom of your brute trash can with a hose going into the tank. Plug in the pump and fill the tank/sump back up. The videos are good but in #2 that is way to much work for doing a big water change.

Palting
08/13/2011, 07:46 PM
One of the best things I've done is install a wall drain, same thing used for washing machines, right beside the tank. I then siphon off 20 gallons from the DT directly into the drain. There is a small sticker on the side of the tank to indicate where the 20 gallon mark is. if you don't have a wall drain, you can do the same thing if you have a sink or toilet nearby. You'll just need a longer hose, and maybe a powerhead to get it started. This will save you starting and stopping the siphon for each 5 gallon bucket, not to mention hauling the 5 gallon buckets back and forth.

Too bad I can't just put a T in my return line. My DT only empties about 5 gallons before the water level goes below the overflow and it stops draining, then the return pump will empty out return srction of the sump and run dry before it gets to 20 gallons.

For refilling, I have a 22 gallon plastic bin I got from Walmart. My RODI water is stored in a 55 gal Brute trash can sitting up on a stand, with a spigot drilled into the bottom. I just fill the 22 gal plastic bin from the 55 gal Brute. You guessed it, I have a mark to indicate 20 gal in the plastic bin. I put a 1400 gph powerhead into the bin and let that run sideways to circulate the water. I slowly dump exactly 9 trowelfulls salt. Through trial and error in the past, I know 9 trowelfulls of salt in 20 gals of RRODI will give me an SG of exactly 1.026. I let the whole thing circulate for several hours. I only do it for 3-6 hours, I've found I don't need to wait 24 hours. After that time, check the mix to make sure numbers are right. Then I drain the DT as in the first paragraph. Then I shut the powerhead off, attach a 1" diameter hose that's about 6 foor long to it, and put the other end into the sump. I turn on the retun pump, turn on the powerhead in the bin, and it's all done in less than a minute. Put everything away, turn the skimmer back on, and go watch TV.

Easy as can be. A few minutes to get the water and salt into the 22 gal mixing bin, and later a few minutes to drain and replace water in the DT. No haulng buckets.

HulaDad
08/13/2011, 07:55 PM
I have a 60g pickle barrel that has a float switch at 50g. I can add a bag of salt and get almost perfect salinity every time. The pump in the salt barrel runs constantly and when I do a water change, I just pull the pump out stick it in my sump. Hook a 30' hose to it and pump the water down the bathroom sink. Stick the pump back in the barrel and pump back into the tank. Roll the hose up and done.... HTH's

albano
08/13/2011, 08:03 PM
the best time saver tip, I can offer you, is to 'mark' you normal water level in your tank or sump, and also 'mark' the level of -10g or however much you normally would change. That way you just run a pump down to the lower mark, no need to measure output, every water change.

I do a 30g change, once a week, and it takes less than 5 minutes!

jamesbaur13
08/13/2011, 08:48 PM
I built 3 of these (RODI, Salt, Waste). It takes 2 37g totes and a wooden furniture dolly to make one. The outer 37g tote is screwed into the dolly, the inner just rests inside of it. It has 2x4's lining the bottom of the outer tote to shim up the bottom of the inner.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x468/jamesbaur13/IMG_20110717_170956b.jpg

These coupled with a return pump and hose. I put a threaded 90degree elbow on the intake so it almost drains the tote completely.

For stirring salt I just remove the hose and let the pump circulate.

For removing water from the tank I swap a quick disconnect hose feeding my carbon reactor and open the valve all the way.

shaginwagon13
08/13/2011, 08:54 PM

Here is an example of how you can plumb the return line:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599945&pp=25&page=27

pentrix2
08/13/2011, 09:10 PM
watch parts 1 and 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_1KfDx2W3Y

Nice video but wow that dude is a little too careful about his wash wags

steelhead77
08/13/2011, 09:16 PM
I have a 125 gallon tank and it takes me forever to do a water chance filling up five gallon buckets at a time then mixing the salt in! Is there anyway to speed this up to make it easyier on me!

It probably would have made more sense to figure this out before you set up a 125 gallon tank but anyway.....What I do is to have a 44 gallon Brute can in my garage which I fill with RO/DI water. Turn on a heater and a pump. When the water is to temp, mix in enough salt to get it to the desired SG. I have another can that I siphon the tank water into and then pump the new water in using a large enough pump to get it from the Brute to the tank. It's really not that difficult.

Lynnmw1208
08/13/2011, 09:44 PM
I do it the simplest way possible with my 125 gallon. I use the python water change hose to siphon out water to the nearby half bathroom. The day before I bring my rubbermaid ruffneck 45 gallon trash can from the basement and mix the salt with RO/DI water with a maxijet 1200 pump. After I siphon the water out of my tank (30 gallons= 5in from the top waterline), I use the maxijet to pump the water back in using a vinyl hose. After I'm done, I take the trashcan back down to the basement. I didn't plan for any fancy plumbing but may drill through the floor eventually :)

08/14/2011, 07:55 AM
Start with the search, you'll find threads like this:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711626

Jeff

snorvich
08/14/2011, 08:40 AM
For my last tank (180 gallons) I used this pump:

http://www.justwaterpumps.com/Little-Giant-5-MSP-LGP1271.html

I put it in the sump and would pump out however much water I wanted to take out and then I would pump the water back into the sump.

For my new tank I'm going to plumb a gate valve that runs off the return line from the pump so when I want to do a water change I can open the valve, do the change and then fill the sump back up.

Yup. I do 40 gallons at a time and this strategy works well.

snorvich
08/14/2011, 08:41 AM

Exactly. It MUST be easy.

lordofthereef
08/14/2011, 10:05 AM
Brute trash cans that are food grade say so on the can itself. Mine are gray, and they are for food service, 44 gallons, $40 at lowes I think. I don't remember what they cost.

I remember reading where Brute trash cans, when used for storing water, seemed to stop many coral from spawning in a tank where they readily spawned. It's been a while, so I don't remember the specifics. It may be something, or it may be nothing, I really couldn't say. That said, food grade drums (ie from a soda pop bottling plant) are free and, AFAIK, haven't been associated with those issues.

steelhead77
08/14/2011, 07:59 PM
I remember reading where Brute trash cans, when used for storing water, seemed to stop many coral from spawning in a tank where they readily spawned. It's been a while, so I don't remember the specifics. It may be something, or it may be nothing, I really couldn't say. That said, food grade drums (ie from a soda pop bottling plant) are free and, AFAIK, haven't been associated with those issues.

The plastic the Brute cans are made from is the same as the "food grade" barrels. The difference will be in the processing. Food grade is not allowed to use any mold release. Do not worry about using Brute cans. Pretty much everybody uses them with no issues

bnumair
08/15/2011, 04:52 AM
my system is completely automatic. every sunday at noon my return pump stops. i have digital water level sensors that pick up the water level in DT. triggers an electronic solenoid empties my DT (by gravity) to the lower digital sensor then closes. once that closes another pump/solenoid in my mixing barrel open and puts the water back in the DT. all this is posible with a computer software i wrote with x10 modules. i havent been able to automate this with reefkeeper yet, too many things to check that RKE doent have the capabilities for.
Before all that:
a mixing barrel with a good pump to mix. make ur water, then empty the sump or tank to a certain level. then pump the new water back in. make sure of same temp and ph