PDA

View Full Version : New Aquarium Ideas

BioFreak
08/14/2011, 12:27 AM
Hey All,

I am going to be upgrading into a 180 gallon flat back hex tank. Currently, I am running a 55 gallon bow-front. What I am planning on, is using the 55 gallon as my sump/refugium.
I would like some opinions on my equipment choices:

Protein Skimmer: Red Sea C-Skim 1800, w/ Hydor SELTZ L30 Pump

Bio Filter: NextReef SMR1 Solid Media Reactor, w/ Hydor SELTZ L40 Pump & NP Bio-pellets

Chemical Filter: NextReef MR1 Monster Media Reactor, w/ 2 Hydor SELTZ L30 Pumps, D-D RP-100 ROWAphos Phosphate Removal Media, & D-D ROWA Carbon 500mL Filter Media

Refugium: 55 gallon bow-front aquarium w/ 8" deep sand bed (any suggestions for media/sand would be nice - I was thinking Miracle Mud)

Return: Eheim Compact+ 5000 Pump

For the refugium I will be adding some 10" baffles around where I plan to place the Skimmer. Adding a shelf to the top of the baffles for the Skimmer to sit on. Under the Skimmer I plan to place all of the pumps. The Bio & Chem filter will be outside of the Refugium, and the return line from the Skimmer will be dumped on the opposite side of the refugium. Eventually I plan to add a calcium reactor but, I must wait for my wallet to be able to afford one. Here is what I was thinking of if I had the money for it.

Hydor Performer Calcium Reactor 750, w/ D-D ROWAlith C+ 6K Calcium Reactor Media, & Deluxe CO2 Regulator with 5 lbs CO2 Tank

Thanks to All who reply,
BioFreak

TheFishTeen
08/14/2011, 01:23 AM
Dont buy the Red Sea C-Skim 1800. Unit may look cool and high tech, but its a piece of junk. You could save a ton of money and buy the Reef Octopus NW250, which will way over perform the C-Skim.

NRMR1 Media Reactor is solid buy.

Hydor Pumps are okay, Ehiem is a more reliable company and since your are already buying an Ehiem pump you might as well stick with all Ehiem pumps.

For the refugium, miracle mud really does miracles for your tank. If you can afford it, get it.

BioFreak
08/14/2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone else have any thoughts?

TheFishTeen I do like ReefOctopus but, Everywhere I have seen them they run about $100 more than the C-Skim. Also I have found several reviews stating that it is a good skimmer. Take a look at this one: http://www.saltcorner.com/Reviews/showreview.php?reviewID=75