PDA

View Full Version : Is My Leather OK?

ldreefer
08/14/2011, 09:44 PM
Hey All,

I bought (this is what I was told at my LFS) an Australian Toadstool Leather and it has been in my tank a couple of days. I run dual T5's, I have 1 Dwarf Lionfish, 5 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Schooling Bannerfish, and 2 Maroon Clowns. Coral wise, I have 1 Green Star Polyp Colony, 1 Yellow Polyp Colony, 1 Xenia frag, and then the new Toadstool Leather. I am having some concerns about it though and I also have a lot of questions about it, due mostly to the fact that this is my first Toadtsool.

1. Is it normal for it to change shape? For example, one side of the leg has started to kind of bend in, creating a crease in the leg that wasn't there before.

2. Is it ok for me to set it on the rock that it is on in the pic, or do I need to wedge it in somewhere? That is the spot that I want it, so I really don't want to move it.

3. How much light does it REALLY need? I have read a lot of different things. I am running dual T5's and I have it at the top of the water column.

4. Are there any special care instructions that I need to be aware of? I dose once weekly with Kent Iodide and 3 times a week I spot feed all of my corals Kent Phytoplankton.

5. How much water flow should I have on it?

6. Does it look healthy in the pictures from what you guys can tell?

Here are a couple of pictures of it:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4770&pictureid=34153
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4770&pictureid=34152

Sorry the pics are so big. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Gill_bucket
08/14/2011, 09:59 PM
Leathers do the oddest things. They shrivel up and shed their skin routinely, sometimes when moved they will shrivel up for days before they open. I remember my devils hand not opening for 6 days when i first got it. Many of mine will "lay down" at night as well, all of this is normal and to be expected with leathers.

ldreefer
08/14/2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your help. What about the water flow? How much should I give it?

NanoReefWanabe
08/15/2011, 09:05 PM
give it enough flow to keep poop off it and not much more...and they will do great in most lighting conditions.