PDA

View Full Version : Brine Shrimp

rich19020
08/15/2011, 10:09 AM
I have been reading that live brine fish is a good food for a tank. Has anybody hatched there own eggs and can explain the process? Also is there anyway that the brine shrimp will strive and take over the tank?

thegrun
08/15/2011, 10:23 AM
Brine shrimp are not a very good food source, except in their newly hatched state. There are threads you can search for that give detailed instructions for raising your own if you so desire. They will not take over a tank.

rich19020
08/15/2011, 10:27 AM
scratch my post. Just spoke to somebody and I was off in my thinking. Thanks.

snorvich
08/15/2011, 11:24 AM
For some delicate fish, it is a good way to get them started eating, but unfortunately the nutritive value is not very good.

doctorgori
08/15/2011, 05:08 PM
For some delicate fish, it is a good way to get them started eating, but unfortunately the nutritive value is not very good.

yup.....may as well feed em "ant eggs" (now thats a blast from the past huh!) ...except as noted below VVVV

Brine shrimp are not a very good food source, except in their newly hatched state

...and you got 4hrs from post hatch (pre molt) and the clock is ticking...after that break out the ant eggs

Virtuoso
08/15/2011, 08:20 PM
I was under the impression that if you fed brine shrimp right after they hatched it was still a good source of protein. Is it really as low as 4 hours? Any recommendations for making it a little more worthwhile? I got 2 hatcheries from brineshrimpdirect.com and was excited to see that my fish loved them. I do a batch every day and feed them to my fish after 48 hours.

snorvich
08/16/2011, 04:40 AM
Brine shrimp as "treats" are fine because it will excite your fish. But it does NOT supply sufficient nutrition to maintain a fish. Best value is within 4 hours of hatching UNLESS you gut load them with something like Selcon. Ant eggs? :headwally: