PDA

View Full Version : LED problem

Jerad
08/15/2011, 04:03 PM
So I looked at my fixture and I had a bulb burnt out!! I took the fixture down and looked at it. It turns out I did solder the wire to the solder on the starboard BUT I guess I did not keep the solder on the starboard so the wire wiggles on and off of the starboard (it still touches but does not soldered on). When I turn off the LED's they flicker a bit (completely normal) except for this line. If I touch it (even 10 minutes after it is unplugged) it will light up the whole line (very dimly lit but still lit).

So my questions:

1. Is it safe to replug my lights in or will more bulbs burn out?
2. Is the poor connection on that bulb the reason it burnt out?
3. That line now has 6 XP-G and 4 XP-E bulbs (running at .8A) because of one burning out while soldering and one with this new revelation.
4. I read that sometimes when soldering, some people clean the surface of the soldering joints to prevent corrosion. I did not do this. What should I clean it with or is that just a ridiculous claim?
5. From what I have explained, is there something else I have messed up?

BrassMonkey
08/15/2011, 04:39 PM
i have the same thing happen. im guessing your using meanwells? if i touch the heatsink they all glow ,if i touch a string they will glow.

all my ballast put out voltage that grounds out when you touch it. the volts seem to add up per ballast. i have a total of 30v ac.

no one responded to my post and i had no explanation so i HAD to assume it normal.

Jerad
08/15/2011, 04:59 PM
:( I am using meanwells. Have you had any bulbs burn out? How long have you been using your fixture?

BrassMonkey
08/15/2011, 05:08 PM
never had any burn out, been running maybe 2 months. when i tested the drivers all voltage and current values were normal.

Jerad
08/15/2011, 05:11 PM
I am guessing that it burned out because it wasnt correctly connected then (for my fixture).

Did you use the ground wire for your power outlet?

hllywd
08/15/2011, 06:47 PM
You're flirting with disaster if the circuit is powered then opening and closing due to the bad connection. I'm surprised you haven't fried the rest of your LEDs in the process. Use some rosin on the connection and resolder it immediately.
Tim

Jerad
08/15/2011, 10:15 PM
Okay, Thanks hllywd. So the bad connection is definitely the reasoning behind the bulb burning out?

TheFishMan65
08/16/2011, 12:33 PM
No I don't think the connection would do it. More likely it was not heat sunk properly (can you say that?). A poor connection could cause flicker as it opens and close (all LEDs the same behavior). Or it could act as high resistance and limit the overall voltage. I suppose if it was high resistance it could cause localized heating and damage the LED.

hllywd
08/16/2011, 01:31 PM
I'd re-solder it correctly first, if it still doesn't' work you're not out anything. If it still doesn't light replace the bad LED.

If you had 1 "cold joint" I'll wager you have more. Check and re-solder any suspect joints using a bit of rosin. I'm with Fishman, I think it' coincidental you have a problem with the LED where the poor connection is. Like I said, I'm surprised they're not all toast due to the way the ELNs work.

Tim