PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- LED Setup questions

the1kumar
08/15/2011, 06:21 PM
Hello Guys,

Let me first thank you guys for all the wealth of info here.

I am newbie, had a fresh water tank about three years ago and now wanna get into Saltwater hobby. Got a new job too, so will help with it :)

Starting with a 36G (30Lx15Wx21H)Bow front - have got all the necessary equipment (Sump, Argonite sand, 20lb Live rock, 20 Lb dead, Fluval heater and two power heads) 2day with stock lights

After reading a ton about lighting, i have finally decided to get LED lights.

I have looked into RapidLED DIY and Marinelands reef ready LED 24-36inch.

I havent decided on all the types of Corals i want to keep, but i want to get a setup i can work with if i decide to grow all types of Coral or Upgrade to new tank.(DIY LED being flexible to adapt)

Now i have looked in to 12 LED and 24 LED RapidLED DIY kits which have 3W LEDs vs Marineland which will have 1W-27LEDs.

I am confused on which set to get, please help me decide :sad1:

sophelia76
08/15/2011, 06:45 PM
If you might want SPS later, the 3w Cree LEDs from Rapid LEDs will be a better option as the cree's have really good PAR. Whatever the source, I would suggest a fixture that allows you to dim the whites and blues separately. The PAR is so high off the DIY or Cree fixtures like the AquaIlluminations that you can easily fry the corals if you don't dim them down at first.

the1kumar
08/15/2011, 06:50 PM
If you might want SPS later, the 3w Cree LEDs from Rapid LEDs will be a better option as the cree's have really good PAR. Whatever the source, I would suggest a fixture that allows you to dim the whites and blues separately. The PAR is so high off the DIY or Cree fixtures like the AquaIlluminations that you can easily fry the corals if you don't dim them down at first.

Cool, 12 LED or 24 LED?

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-59/12-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-54/24-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

jong11
08/15/2011, 07:42 PM
24 if you get the dimable