PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy some corals!

Birdhawk23
08/16/2011, 11:23 AM
Well I've had my reef tank for a couple months now, and obviously I'm ADDICTED!
I have some odds and ends corals that came with the tank, frogspawn, leather finger, zoo's, some polyps but I want to buy some frags and grow them on my own now!
I just purchased a Aqua Medic 2x250 1x150 MH system and I really hope its gonna make my frags grow into some nice corals!
Can someone help me? I would like to know what nutrients I need to get for my tank to really give my corals incredible nutrients to grow big and beautiful!
Also, where is a good place to buy off of? I've heard I can't go wrong with Ebay, but I'm sure theres something else out there thats better right?

also, what are some unique corals that are really eye catching you guys would recommend??
As always thanks for any advice and suggestions!!

zues2006
08/16/2011, 11:57 AM
Check this out (lots of great info. gotta read the whole thing):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

You will see that lighting alone won't make the corals grow.

Plenty of people sell frags on this site. I would look here for first option on purchasing hardware or corals.
When people sell frags on this website, look at the pictures, and then you can get an idea of what corals you might like to purchase.
Ebay? for corals?? I wouldn't.
Also, there is a store in IN, that is supposed to be good. I forget the name, but if you look at some older postings, I"m sure you'll come across it.

AC2020x
08/16/2011, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't use ebay either... if not buying from a good LFS that you have in the area... I'd probably get one from someone selling frags on here or liveaquaria. I have ordered a coral from ebay before and it didn't turn out well. It may have just been my bad luck but I wouldn't ever do it again.

I'd look at bulkreefsupply.com

They have some great videos and awesome products. You need to make sure you are testing for calcium, alk, PH, Mg, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates along with others for a health reef tank. The biggest ones going from FO to a reef are calcium, alk and mg. They have an awesome and easy two part system along with calculators for dosing your tank with calcium and Alkalinity.

They also have many other great products that are great for a reef tank... I would look into it. And fantastic products... I wish you the best!

Sk8r
08/16/2011, 01:27 PM
Imitate the parameters in my sig line and that will work. You'll start out dosing alk buffer, calcium, and magnesium (dose mg first) to reach these levels. If mg is high enough, alk and cal will behave. If mg is low, no amount of dosing will raise alk or cal for long.

Once your corals have started eating, (they get minerals from water, depleting the calcium and mg)---you will have to go to another kind of dosing: you'll need an autotopoff system and either kalk or a calcium reactor. Kalk is easier, just a powder added to your ATO reservoir.

Tyler10121012
08/16/2011, 01:30 PM
Hammer corals are great fillers if you got great lighting they will grow like crazy..i have a hybrid neon green/blue-grey hammer that is amazing...and i got mine as a 10$ frag liveaquaria.com has good softies for begginers too

Fish Biscuit
08/16/2011, 03:03 PM
I think that zues2006 is thinking of Premium Aquatics. Love them for LR, one of these days I have to make a trip up there myself.

sbatten
08/16/2011, 07:55 PM
I would also check with any reef clubs in your area, might be able to buy frags at a good price locally.

hollister
08/16/2011, 08:41 PM
This is a cool site . Not so main stream corals as with odd corals.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/index.cfm

kingfisher62
08/16/2011, 08:48 PM
Find some Duncans and trumpets Pretty fast growers for lps.
Petsolutions and Dr. fosters are great online vendors that stand behind thier livestock!