PDA

View Full Version : LED/Nem advice

redneckgearhead
08/16/2011, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone, my wife has a 55 gallon hex tank with two maroons and a bi-color blenny int it. She will NOT be adding corals but she is desperate to get a nem for the clowns. I would love to use this LED set up http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-59/12-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail but I am concerned about the LED's penetrating deep enough. Any thoughts? I think the tank is 24" deep but I will verify that when I get home. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Rippinfrags
08/16/2011, 12:25 PM
Yes and no, 12 3watt Cree LEDs would probably be enough to support a bta, if the LEDs are mounted in a tight pattern, if that makes sense. In saying that, you would only be able to illuminate about a third of your 55 gallon with usable light. IMO, I think you could support a bta with 12 3 watt cree LEDs if mounted correctly and yes I would use optics, probably 60, or 80 degree Lenses.

redneckgearhead
08/16/2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks! Yea I considered making a "spotlight" out of them by putting them close together to focus on the nem. So thanks for your input!

Rippinfrags
08/16/2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks! Yea I considered making a "spotlight" out of them by putting them close together to focus on the nem. So thanks for your input!

Yes exactly, it will have a spot light look to it, should be pretty sweet! Make sure you mix the blues and the whites, don't have all of the blues on one side and all whites on the other side. Good luck and your welcome.

hypnoj
08/16/2011, 06:26 PM
what lights do you have over it right now?

redneckgearhead
08/16/2011, 07:12 PM
It has just the factory single flouresent tube over it now. But its fish only right now. Will be getting the nem as soon as I get the light sold to the wife and order, build and install it. But Im going to show her some of the beautiful nems on here and try to prod her along. lol