PDA

View Full Version : aquamaxx phosphate out? reactor for 150 grams?

Drae
08/16/2011, 02:21 PM
I bought some aquamaxx granular ferrous oxide recently to use with a via aqua poly reactor 30/30. The problem is that its only calling for 1 gram per gallon! Seems a little minute considering once I put 150 grams into the reactor(roughly 4.5oz) It's so little that sponges are almost touching! Tumble?

HighlandReefer
08/16/2011, 03:37 PM
There are different grades of GFO and the amount you use can be different for the high capacity grades. The high capacity grade will remove 1/2 again as much phosphate on average. I am not familiar with this product and not sure what grade it is. I am not sure what grade the Salifert GFO is either. ;)

Randy comments on the suggested starting rate for GFO in this article:

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

From it:

"Aquarists who choose to use such materials should be aware of the possible biological problems that other aquarists have encountered. Starting slowly and allowing the phosphate to decline over a period of a week or two may be less stressful than dropping it in a period of hours, regardless of the mechanism of the problems encountered. Using a smaller amount of material, and changing it more frequently, may also be less stressful. Salifert recommends using 250 mL (8.5 ounces) of its product (Phosphate Killer) to treat a 125-250 gallon tank for up to three months. There is, however, nothing wrong with starting with 1/10 that amount to see what happens. While it may be more work, using one ounce and changing it after two weeks may reduce some of the issues that aquarists have observed when changing the media."

HighlandReefer
08/16/2011, 03:49 PM
These are the recommendations for the BRS GFO for both regualr and High Capacity so you can compare:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/Granular-Ferric-Oxide-GFO-Instructions

From it:

Granular, Pellet, and HC GFO Instructions
For Granular and Pellet GFO start with 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons of water (16 tbsp = 1 cup). After 4-8 weeks the aquarium will have adjusted to lower nutrient levels and the amount of GFO can be increased up to 2 tablespoons per 4 gallons of water. For HC GFO start with 1 tablespoon per 8 gallons of water (16 tbsp = 1 cup). After 4-8 weeks the aquarium will have adjusted to the low nutrient level and the amount of GFO can be increased up to 2 tablespoons per 8 gallons of water. Change all three types of GFO when phosphate levels rise or algae growth becomes visible (4-8 weeks).

For use in a filter bag:

•Pour the GFO into the bag and close securely
•Rinse with RO water or place under a faucet until the water runs clear
•Place in a high flow area of the tank or sump to maximize water flow through the GFO
•Change the media when phosphate levels rise or algae growth becomes visible (4-8 weeks)

For use in a media reactor:
•Place the reactor's return line into a bucket or sink
•Turn on the feed pump to flush the fines from the GFO until the water runs clear
•Place the return line in the tank
•Reduce the flow through the reactor so the GFO barely tumbles on the surface. Do not allow the material to vigorously tumble.
•Change the media when phosphate levels rise or algae growth becomes visible (4-8 weeks)
Special note on algae outbreaks: GFO will not solve an algae outbreak by itself. If an algae outbreak is apparent attack it head on. Manually remove algae, use GFO, add predators such as tangs, snails or hermits, shorten lighting periods, conduct proper water changes, and carefully monitor the food added to the tank. Any one of these on their own will help with algae problems, but rarely solve the problem by itself. It typically takes a combination of these approaches to eradicate an algae outbreak. .

Drae
08/16/2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks a bunch. I didn't realize there was so much to know about gfo. That why I thanked you the other day. Nothing but quality links, info, and suggestions. I appreciate it.

HighlandReefer
08/16/2011, 05:37 PM
You're welcome. ;)

Thanks for the compliments. :)