PDA

View Full Version : tannin

bdr
08/16/2011, 03:49 PM
So i have messaged two of the most recommended site sponsers about tannin and a rodi unit. Question being will any rodi unit take it out? I got two totally differnt answers one being we dont sell anything that will remove it and the other a link to a fairly affordable system. Question to you is do any of you have tannin and does your rodi unit remove it? It will be the first bigger expense to start my tank now that im working again and if it wont i want to cut my losses early if its all good time to start ordering. Thanks!

HighlandReefer
08/16/2011, 03:58 PM
You asked the same question here on 05/30/2011. You got responses from three of the Chemists here in the Chemistry Forum, including UVvis, Randy and Boomer. ;)

See this thread:

Tannin
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2026114&highlight=tannin

bdr
08/16/2011, 04:22 PM
thanks i was trying to find it but i was doing something wrong with the search function and i didnt have the info i have now from the suppliers. In that thread the replies were it SHOULD. From their answers i asked the suppliers which system to get. i figured the suppliers would know their products. one says it will one says it wont. So my question here is on the same lines but slightly different. So do i believe some people that say it should or the supplier that says it will or the supplier that says it wont? the only way to figure out is try it and id rather not waste 300 to find out it doesnt.

HighlandReefer
08/16/2011, 05:21 PM
Reading through articles available online, they all seem to agree with what is stated about tannin removal in this article: ;)

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/tannins-well-water.html

I'm not an expert here, but it does seem you have some options depending on if you are concerned about these tannins being in your drinking water. If so, a whole house system seems to be a good choice. You will also need an rodi system after the tannin system to remove other impurities that the tannin system will not remove.

For aquarium use, a rodi system should remove the tannins. If you have high iron levels, this is hard on RO membranes and may cause a short life expectancy. GAC filters before the RO membrane will help remove tannins reducing the amount needed to be removed by the membrane, Perhaps you will go through a lot of carbon filters, but they are not that expensive. Using sediment filters will help remove particles that are hard on membranes & this would be before the carbon filters. If the tannins get by the RO membrane, the anion resins are what removes the tannins from my understanding. So you would want possibly to have an extra DI anion only filter after the membrane in addition to perhaps a mixed DI filter. Just my two cents.

Perhaps others have experiences with your problem.

bdr
08/16/2011, 05:48 PM
Not worried about the house i drink the water tastes fine told the wife to use bubble bath to hide the color just want the tank to be clear and not have to lug water. I didnt mind it on freshwater but they didnt have the vibrant colors of a reef tank. Thanks for the link explains it well and the equipment to remove it.

HighlandReefer
08/16/2011, 06:03 PM
Well, either way you need a rodi system for your reef tank. So I would try a standard 5 stage rodi system.

sediment
carbon
2nd carbon
reverse osmos filter
DI filter

You can always add on an anion only extra DI filter if needed fairly cheap. ;)

Just my two cents again. :)

OregonReefer
08/16/2011, 06:47 PM
Have you had the water tested?

Iron (rust) in tap water looks very much like Tannin

That said I don't know how you'd get tannin in your water supply. Well water should be taken deep enough that any tannin seepage should be removed. If it's not, IMHO, you may want to consider having a well guy come take a look at your system... Water that isn't clean enough to have the tannin removed I would think would have a high probability of having all kinds of nasty bacteria in it...

If it's city water with tannin in it... I'd move

Boomer
08/16/2011, 06:50 PM
Yes a RO/DI will take out Tannin it is a organic molecule. It is best to take it out pre-RO/DI. It is all in that thread :)

edit:

Tannin is common in many well waters, as is Lignin. LaMotte makes a test kit for testing these.

bdr
08/17/2011, 05:04 PM
it is well water goes through a sediment then carbon then softener then a thing that takes out sulfur and iron then a uv light culligan has tested it and told me it was tannin and that our area was known for it. He told me to do the house would be really expensive so we live with it and it dosnt bother us. I know i would need a rodi either way but if i couldnt get the tank water clear i would stop now before i ivested a bunch of cash to only end up unhappy. thanks for the replies i will give it a shot and jump in on one of the next group buys.

OregonReefer
08/17/2011, 07:55 PM
edit:

Tannin is common in many well waters, as is Lignin. LaMotte makes a test kit for testing these.

Really? I had no idea...

I live in the land of soft wood, like trees everywhere, and the only time you see water with visible Tannin... Well, lets just say it isn't water you'd drink.

The many friends I have with wells (less then a quarter mile south of my home there is no city water supply for 30ish miles) all have crystal clear water.

I just assumed with all the plant life we have here, if visible tannin where common in wells we'd see it for sure...