PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cycle and light colors

waranwill
08/17/2011, 08:39 AM
I am returning to the hobby after my tank was wiped out in hurricane Katrina, was very rough losing everything. Alot has changed in the past 5-6 years, and although I have done alot of research and reading, I always valued feedback here at reefcentral.

Tank is 36" x 18" x 18" 50 Gallon, with 2 x 150w HQI open hood.
Jbj wavemaker with 2 500 Gph powerheads
Cpr Aeroforce 2 Skimmer
60 pounds of excellent lightweight LR salvaged from the old tank

I am going to start with distilled water, its just easier to get 50 gallons delivered than giong to Lfs with buckets. Will use instant Ocean reefcrystals salt, and and aerate for a few days.

I plan on putting 20-30 pounds of dry argonite sand in first, then my dry LR and some base, then add 40 pnds live sand, from 2 different Lfs, 20 from each, and 5-15 pnds cured liverock from a Lfs.

first problem: I have been told that its normal to cycle a reef tank with a hermit or two now? I am definately not throwing damsels in again, so what animals are recommended for cycling nowadays? or is it common to cycle with just live sand and live rock?

problem 2: I plan on getting back into Acro's and Monti's again, when the tank is ready, a few polyps too, I'm sure. For lighting, I am thinking a 20K on one side and a 14K or 15K on the other. The hood has two 15K's in it, although they are well past their prime, I'm not rushing to get the bulbs just yet. I am not worried about crazy fast coral growth, I am more interested in colors being bright on my corals.

It has even crossed my mind to run two 14K's and then retro a T5 actinic on my hood for blues.

I really just could not convince myself of going thru the hassle of a sump/fuge. this tank will have 1-3 fish max, and they will be small, clown goby or blenny, maybe 1 other small fish, so I plan on the bioload being very small. I have no interest in overdoing a clean up crew, all small inverts that each fill a specific purpose.

The Algae scrubbers look very cool, and I am already planning an over the tank scrubber in the coming months.

Well, any advice would be appreciated, looking forward to running a reef again!