PDA

View Full Version : Catching a trigger?

UnknownFish
08/17/2011, 08:58 AM
Anyone got some suggestions for trying to catch a picasso trigger, he's small only like 3 inches, I have about 150 lb of rock in the display and really dont want to rearrange it all, I have tried leaving a net in the tank for a few days but he's not stupid.

nuccadoc
08/17/2011, 09:08 AM
I had to pull most of the rock out of my tank to catch my picasso so I could transfer her to a larger tank. There was no other way I could catch her. Get yourself some rubbermaid containers to hold your rock temporarily while you try to catch her. Good luck!

brian762
08/17/2011, 09:27 AM
Just went through with this with my Niger Trigger over the weekend. I had to tear down my tank to catch him. If i wasnt moving, i was going to get a small fishing hook, file the barb down, put a piece of shrimp on the hook, grab a beer, and go fishing. as long as the barb is filed down it will not damage the fish.

Master Kyle 297
08/17/2011, 09:33 AM
HAHAHAHA! You guys are funny! I got a niger trigger out in literally 10 seconds. Heres what you need to do. Check out this video, this is how I caught him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_hI7drGSQ

YOu need: 1 3 litre soda bottle and a piece of shrimp or food

tozzi
08/17/2011, 09:36 AM
Fish trap. Plexi box with a sliding door that slides down in front and a hole in the top to put food in. U have to leave it in your tank for a while so they get use to it and when u feed put the food through the hole in the top. My fish got so use to it they would just go in all the time lookin for food. I got many fish out this way, including triggers

lexiz1
08/17/2011, 09:47 AM
Build yourself a fish trap. Works great for me every time I have to catch a fish in my 220 gal.

1. Get a 2 liter bottle, rinse it well, and rip off the label.
2. Cut off the top all the way around, about 4 inches down.
3. Punch a small hole in the two pieces (about 1/4 inch away from the cut you just made) so you can create a hinge using a zip tie.
4. Now on the opposite side punch two additional small holes. Tie a thin fish line from the top of the bottle to the bottom piece.
5. Put some food on a clip and drop it into the bottle along with some rocks to weigh the bottle down. Set it near his favorite spot with the lid obviously open. Let it sit for a while and once the fish enters the bottle, pull the string.

It may take a day for the fish to get used to the weird object in the tank. Hope this is clear. If not, or have questions, PM me.

UnknownFish
08/17/2011, 02:13 PM
I gave up and tore all the rock down, I didn't want to go to that extreme but he had to go, guessI'll finish aquascaping tonight when I get off work.

1 upside is I was able to get rid of some rock and open the tank up more.

Wolverine
08/17/2011, 05:35 PM
One of the tricks you can do long term is to put the food in a net. The fish will eventually learn to associate the net with food, and will swim right up to it. Then, if you ever need to catch them, you just scoop them right up.

Reefing Newbie
08/17/2011, 05:48 PM
The ^ method will work if triggers aren't as smart as damsels. Never had a trigger, but would love one! I tried the net thing, but my two damsels figured it out. The clownfish however did not lol, he went into the net and ate most of the food before it could leave the net.

dzrtrataz
08/18/2011, 01:48 AM
Next time try your LFS and see if they have a fish trap to rent. Thats what I use, when I didn't want to tear the whole tank apart. Had the fish out with in 30 min.

cmbspd
08/18/2011, 04:46 AM
small fish hook with the barb bent/filed off and a piece of food will catch a trigger very quickly.