PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get coraline to grow

Adio800
08/17/2011, 12:11 PM
I have some live rock and has a little coraline what does it take to help it spread

Catastrophi
08/17/2011, 12:13 PM
Whenever I dosed Tech-M to get rid of bryopsis I saw my coraline growth just EXPLODE.

sporto0
08/17/2011, 12:16 PM
You need proper calcium & magnesium levels, but the the most important factor is good lighting.

thebkramer
08/17/2011, 12:30 PM
keep calcium up around 450 ;)
but the best thing is Patience!!! soon you will wish you didn't have sooo much!!! :lol:

stewartms
08/17/2011, 12:32 PM
keep calcium up around 450 ;)
but the best thing is Patience!!! soon you will wish you didn't have sooo much!!! :lol:

^^ +1 Be careful what you ask for.. LOL

BigJim
08/17/2011, 12:35 PM
Also check your phosphate levels. I didn't have any coralline growing until I got my phosphate levels near zero. Get a test kit.

Gill_bucket
08/17/2011, 12:45 PM
You need proper calcium & magnesium levels, but the the most important factor is good lighting.

I have to disagree with the lighting statement, I have had incredible coraline growth under terrible lighting, in fact I believe it grows much much better in lower light areas. Although now that I write this I realize that their are many different types of coraline, what has grown so well for me is the pink kind were the darker purple kind does not spread as well in my systems, perhaps this is due to insufficient lighting.

This is a pic of lava rock, so when I got it there was no coraline at all.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz213/gill_bucket_2010/DSC_1640.jpg

Palting
08/17/2011, 12:48 PM
As above, make sure your calcium, alk, pH, Magnesium, phosphates, nitrates, etc, are all within parameters. Coraline actually prefer a high alk of around 11 dKH, but do well even as low as 7dKH. Coraline also likes good flow, otherwise algae and cyano can take over. Once you have all your parameters in check, take that coraline rock and scrape some of the coraline off in front of a powerhead to help spread it. May help to have the return and the drains off to let the coraline scrapings circulate for a while within the tank.

As far as lights, there seems to be a sweet spot. In my tank with CF lights, the coraline grew first on the walls and rocks closest to the light. In my tank with the lights as seen on my sig (MH), they grew first on the underside and shaded portions of rocks. Now, of course, they are all over the place :). Careful what you ask for.

dwarf_angels31
08/17/2011, 01:15 PM
I agree with gill...its not about lighting, like palting said its cal.alk.mag and flow!

fshaqrmman
08/17/2011, 01:19 PM
In my experience the Magnesium is a very key ingredient!

sporto0
08/17/2011, 01:44 PM
Ok, let me amend my statement, coralline algae needs "proper" lighting, more specifically actinic light, Coralline grows best deep in the ocean where only blue spectrum light can penetrate.