PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

Andrew17030
08/17/2011, 10:58 PM
I want to use an spring-wound timer to cut off power to an outlet that pumps will be connected to. However, the timer is supposed to do the opposite, is there a way to wire it so that it will work the way I want. The outlet that I want to power off will be piggy backed off of another outlet. I was going to use this timer between them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gorgok
08/18/2011, 12:18 AM
As in you want a xx minute timer that you click off, then it returns to on once time runs out? Like feed mode?

I asked about this on another site (not related to fish) and got nowhere... but then again there are much more creative people here.

Andrew17030
08/18/2011, 12:37 AM
Yea, like the restroom light timers that turn the lights off when the time is up. I will keep looking and I always find a solution. When I do I will let you know what it is.

alton
08/18/2011, 06:17 AM
Get a 120 volt pin relay with normally open and closed contacts

BeanAnimal
08/18/2011, 06:39 AM
I assume you are building a feeding timer or something similar.

A) Many of the timers can be ordered (or have) NO and NC contacts. You want to use or buy one with) NC contacts (Normally Closed).

B) If you already have an NO (Normally Open) timer, you (as mentioned above) can use a RELAY. The relay would need to be rated at 120V both for the coil and the contacts. You would connect the output of the timer to the relay coil. 120V to the Common terminal of the relay and the load to the Normally Closed relay terminal. When the timer powers the relay, the armature will pull away from the NC terminal and remove power from your load.

C) If you really feel like DIY you can use a 555 timer to build an adjustable digital version:
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/555-based-aquarium-feeding-timer.aspx

http://www.beananimal.com/media/5400/555-aquarium-feeding-timer.jpg

pwreef
08/18/2011, 02:36 PM
Get ReefKeeper Lite for $119. Cannot beat that. It will do what you want and more!

Andrew17030
08/18/2011, 09:39 PM
I got it worked out, a little bending and some superglue.