PDA

View Full Version : Reeflo Hammerhead HYBRID Water Pump

shaginwagon13
08/18/2011, 12:38 AM
Just got a new Hammerhead Hybrid and in the instructions it says:

"This energy efficient pump is ideal for 300-500 gallon aquariums with sump return systems requiring a minimum of 15 feet static head. This unit is rated for a maximum flow rate of 5800gph, a shut off head of 23 feet and maximum wattage of 350/ 3 amps."

What exactly does "15 feet of static head" mean?

Here are the complete specs if that matters...

http://www.aquacave.com/reeflo-hammerheadbr-hybrid-water-pump-3166.html

Thanks!

Ron Reefman
08/18/2011, 06:16 AM
Send an email to Chris at Reeflo. He is a very good guy and will answer quickly and honestly. I have a beta test pump from Reeflo and when it developed a small leak he pracically gave me a new pump. They treat their customers right!

daplatapus
08/18/2011, 08:04 AM
It basically means the vertical distance the pump is going to have to lift the water. Those Hammer Head pumps are designed to push water uphill and are good choices for those with basement sumps with a DT on an upper floor. The higher it has to push the water the less flow at the top, but the design of the pump can overcome the resulting pressure gravity exerts on the water column.

snorvich
08/18/2011, 09:46 AM
It basically means the vertical distance the pump is going to have to lift the water. Those Hammer Head pumps are designed to push water uphill and are good choices for those with basement sumps with a DT on an upper floor. The higher it has to push the water the less flow at the top, but the design of the pump can overcome the resulting pressure gravity exerts on the water column.

Good description. I have three of them in the basement pushing water upwards. Superb pumps.