PDA

View Full Version : New Peacock Mantis

moneypit2
08/19/2011, 08:08 AM
Walked into the store for fish food and walked out with a beautiful 6" mantis. Im not ashamed to admit that this was an impulse purchase if ever there was one so I hit a snag or two along the way. I already had a 29gal biocube running about a year, so I netted the valentini puffer and tried to net the watchman goby, but he was too quick. Funny thing is ....that goby swam into the net after a day or two with a 6"mantis. Day 3 and the mantis is on his side acting weird. So I panic, cover the tank in a black blanket,shut off all the lights ,cover all the windows, put a 2" black u shaped pipe, and pray he doesnt die. Well now ,a week later and hes looking good, eating shrimp and crab, can make the u-turn in th pipe snuggly, but im still concerned about him breaking the glass. After seeing the prices of acrylic tanks I decided to make my own so I now have a 19" drilled cube and I plan on doing a sump with live rock and a fuge. One question... I saw some nice tunnel setups but I also saw one post stating they prefer just one u shaped tube as opposed to a maze with various entrance and exits. Is there a clear answer to this I was planning on doing a maze but now I'm not so sure. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I just wish I found this place sooner...... better late than never. Heres a video of him ?her? on day 2
http://m.youtube.com/?source=mobileproducts&dc=gorganic&source=mog#/profile?user=Peter25410985982940&v=NKWILuNQ12U&view=videos

fish stalker
08/19/2011, 09:14 AM
I put in one curved section and some straight pieces with rock and rubble.the pieces are separate and the large rocks are stabilised on the PVC to hopefully avoid cave ins ...... So far so good :twitch:

FLMantis
08/19/2011, 09:36 AM
Very nice video of your Peacock...

I don't know much about tunnels and PVC, a few others are here will probably chime in later.

moneypit2
08/28/2011, 07:24 PM
Still camera shy ......

Dana42078
08/28/2011, 08:24 PM
Nice!Welcome to the party!

moneypit2
08/28/2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks.... Found someone out playing when I wasnt around. Not the best shot but it was on the sneak.

Tinctorius
08/29/2011, 12:57 AM
Did someone say Party? Hope you are enjoying your Peacock. Doesn't always have to be a best shot but a sneak shot is better than no shot. Keep us updated...

moneypit2
09/10/2011, 08:00 AM
New roomate