PDA

View Full Version : Moved Tank. Fish not happy

Mr.Mcgibblets
08/19/2011, 11:00 AM
So I am getting ready to setup a new tank that will sit in the same location my previous tank was. While I setup and cycle the new tank I relocated the old tank across the room and have had everything running for about 48 hours. Everything has been normal until the last hour or so when I noticed the fish seem to be agitated. They all seem to be taking it out on a single yellow wrasse, I have noticed my purple tang has been stalking him almost constantly and occasionally chases him. The wrasse has been hanging out at the top of the tank which is very unusual and when he gets to close to my clowns they chase after him as well.

Is this fairly normal when moving a tank? I have not had a single problem with any of these fish being aggressive, even the tang has been a model citizen. Are they just re esatblishing the pecking order or is this something to be concerned about?

AquaticFins
08/19/2011, 11:08 AM
It does sound like they're re-establishing the pecking order. If you changed the rockwork around during the move, that certainly is a common cause for it. Generally, a day or two is all it takes for everyone to figure out their place in the tank again.

So long as the wrasse can get to food and doesn't seem to be being hurt by the aggression, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

If you start to see ripped fins or scale damage on the wrasse, I would try to remove him.

Tim gixxerman
08/19/2011, 11:13 AM
I have not done this in a saltwater tank but in fresh water i have seen this after a move. So i turned the lights out for 24 hrs. and that seems to calm the aggression down.

Mr.Mcgibblets
08/19/2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks I did remove some rock and I was wondering if the tang didn't like the new scape as he was in and out of the caves all day. If the aggression continues I may change it up a little, also might try the lights out idea. Thanks.