PDA

View Full Version : Cement question

qwikcustoms
08/20/2011, 12:07 AM
While watching the cable show Tanked they mentioned a product called polygon cement ( unsure of spelling) to make rock formations . It looked almost clay like in consistency . I cannot find any info regarding it and would appreciate any help in doing so. Thanks .Paul

Gorgok
08/20/2011, 12:44 AM
It could be this stuff: http://www.marcorocks.com/e-marco-40010lbkit.aspx

In their description they say what the base product is.

qwikcustoms
08/21/2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info but I don't think that was it. Anyone?

gon08
08/21/2011, 05:27 PM
I think it was Polygem, but I'm not too sure myself. Must be the NY accent.

gon08
08/21/2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.polygem.com/sinmast/sinmast.php

Gorgok
08/21/2011, 08:12 PM
I think you got it, but i'd start from this link: http://www.polygem.com/zoo/zoopoxy.php

Even though they don't really mention aquarium uses in how-to and such it seems quite a few aquariums have used it based on their list.

E-Z Sculpt, under products, sculpting, is said to be clay like.
POLYBAC #307, under applications, coral/underwater rocks, is said to be a thick putty.

love83blue
08/22/2011, 07:31 PM
I emailed them and here is the link they give me. http://www.polygem.com/zoo/4.php

Gorgok
08/22/2011, 08:24 PM
Interesting. Based on that description i wouldn't have used it to attach one rock to another... Unless the wet layout part means it can be used on wet rocks?

Was the show any good? Do they actually talk about meaningful stuff and have some logic to it or is it just off the wall crazyness for the sake of getting on TV? I meant to watch it and see if i should start to record it but forgot.

gon08
08/22/2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting. Based on that description i wouldn't have used it to attach one rock to another... Unless the wet layout part means it can be used on wet rocks?

Was the show any good? Do they actually talk about meaningful stuff and have some logic to it or is it just off the wall crazyness for the sake of getting on TV? I meant to watch it and see if i should start to record it but forgot.

It's the equivalent to American Choppers. You won't learn to set up a tank but it's entertaining to watch.... at least there is some stuff we can relate to.... FISH.

jeff@zina.com
08/23/2011, 06:15 AM
Interesting. Based on that description i wouldn't have used it to attach one rock to another...

They didn't. It's used to create decorations.

Jeff

AcMonster
08/23/2011, 06:54 AM
It's the equivalent to American Choppers. You won't learn to set up a tank but it's entertaining to watch.... at least there is some stuff we can relate to.... FISH.

I wish they would spend more time talking about their sumps and filtration. They usually have the tank set up and fully stocked within a day. I assume they have pre cycled filter media and water. Either way, it's a hobby I can relate too and that's enough for me to watch it.

gon08
08/23/2011, 03:12 PM
I wish they would spend more time talking about their sumps and filtration. They usually have the tank set up and fully stocked within a day. I assume they have pre cycled filter media and water. Either way, it's a hobby I can relate too and that's enough for me to watch it.

The majority of their viewers are not aquarist so that would be boring and not get the ratings they look for. What people tune in to see is the practical jokes and the antics. Having been in the "Setup" business myself I can tell you those tanks don't go up in a couple of days. More like weeks and even months for the really large ones. The hotels want to see engineer drawings before they take on that kind of potential liability.

As for filter media, they most likely use floss from an established system. That's what we used to do in the cases where we used artificial reef inserts like they do on the show. If it was a reef we usually had cured rock ready if it was a tank that needed to go up quick like for conferences.

What I would like to see from the show is maybe a disclaimer that recommends anyone wanting to set up an aquarium should consult with their LFS. Like a do not try this at home type of deal.

schristi69
09/04/2011, 11:16 PM
How do they get away with using tap water all the time? I would be interested in how the tank cycles.

gon08
09/04/2011, 11:51 PM
How do they get away with using tap water all the time? I would be interested in how the tank cycles.

There is nothing wrong with using tap water especially for a fish only system.
What we used to do is use bio balls or even floss from the shop tanks and this provided enough bacteria to seed the new bio balls. It worked 100% of the time for us. Being in Florida we have access to fresh seawater year round so we don't need to use tap water for our fills. One quick phone call and we could get up to 3000 gallons delivered directly from the the ocean.