PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Blue tang with HLLE ??

aznsnakeboy89
08/20/2011, 02:06 AM
I adopted this poor baby from a local reefer and from what i've been researching, i believe he has an extreme case of HLLE (Head and lateral line erosion). He lost most of his fins and breath difficultly but the previous owner told me that he has been like that for over a year... other than that he is considering healthy and eat like a pig. This is my first time occur with a situation like this, and i'd really want to help this poor fish :(. I have a few questions that im curious :

1. is it HLLE infection ??
2. Is there any ways i can cure this poor guy ??
3. i have him in the Display Tank now with my other fishes (pair of clowns, mystery wrasse, 2 blennies and a yellow tang). Is it a good idea or i should remove him to another tank so that the disease wont spread to other fishes.

Thank you. All the infos i can get are greatly appreciated. i really want to help him

MrTuskfish
08/20/2011, 12:12 PM
I hope the Bozo that had this tang has found a new hobby. HLLE isn't contagious; but I think this fish has some secondary infection, possibly fungal infection on the caudal fin as well. I would move him to a nice, quiet QT to let him recover without food competition and give him an over-all lower stress level. I can't tell for sure from the pics, but I'd treat with an antibiotic and/ or anti-fungal med in QT. Do some research to be sure the stuff on the tail is fungal. Fungus on the tail usually comes after a long-neglected bacterial infection. Maracyn Plus may be a good choice. These are tough fish, most other species would be history by now. here's another active thread with some more drivel on HLLE: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2059381

geaux xman
08/20/2011, 08:58 PM
Blue Tangs can get HLLE pretty bad too. I've seen some that was brought back to the LFS that looks terrible. One LFS told me the previous owner only fed the BT frozens.

MrTuskfish
08/21/2011, 11:34 AM
Blue Tangs can get HLLE pretty bad too. I've seen some that was brought back to the LFS that looks terrible. One LFS told me the previous owner only fed the BT frozens.

Yeah, and these fish are very hardy, colorful, inexpensive, and were in that *&%$#@ movie. So, they are often bought by beginners who are not yet ready to keep them or recognize the early symptoms of HLLE and other problems. I had wholesaler tell me that he thought that Regals may be the most abused fish in the hobby; simply because most fish will be dead by the time the Regal is really in trouble.