PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9011 issue: foam not rising

drgaston
08/20/2011, 02:57 PM
Hi Roger,

I purchased a Tunze 9011 skimmer a few months back and have been trying to make it work ever since. The best way to describe the issue is simply that the foam does not rise in the collection cup: it always stay between the very base of the column (which would be at the level of the 0 marking on the outside of the collection cup) to the level of the 200 marking. I sometimes have some 'colored water' in the collection cup but I collected no more than 400 ml over several months. And it was just colored water, not even gunk.

I have tried everything: waiting a month so my water is completely cycled, waiting till I had a heavier bioload, overfeeding a bit to generate more waste, moving the skimmer to another compartment in my sump, putting my chaeto in a meshed bag so no piece of it can get to the skimmer, turning the screw one half turn at a time and waiting for a couple days, disassembling the skimmer, cleaning all parts and reassembling, blowing in the air admission to make sure it was not obstructed, etc, etc.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the skimmer is deficient, or that I do have a taller 9011 collection cup put on top of an underpowered 9006.

What shall I do now?

rvitko
08/22/2011, 09:33 AM
The only difference between a 9006 and a 9011 is the pump and the cup, if the pump says 9011.040, you have a 9011. My guess would be that the venturi nozzle is defective or broken, if you can PM me an email address I will send a pic of what to look for, this is easily replaced.

TandN
08/27/2011, 04:52 PM
how did this turn out for ya ? I just bought 9006 and hooked it up yesterday and nothing yet

rvitko
08/29/2011, 09:17 AM
It takes 48-72 hours before any real skimming will start and the skimmer is not at its optimum for 2 weeks.