PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing my 57gal rimless Need some help!

yellowRubi
08/22/2011, 07:07 AM
Iam about to plumb my 57gal to my sump, i got the return all done, but i was wondering how should i do the drain, i had a 75gal that i made a pvc silencer for the drain, i just wonder if put the drain pipe under the water would it make lots of noise?
any ideas would be great!!!
also my sump is a 30gal tank thats 36" long

BIG_KAHUNA
08/22/2011, 08:13 AM
would this happen to be an Oceanic 57g rimless?

yellowRubi
08/22/2011, 08:16 AM
would this happen to be an Oceanic 57g rimless?

Yes, the one with overflow

BIG_KAHUNA
08/22/2011, 08:50 AM
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/BIG_KAHUNA_/DSCN0984.jpg

this is what you're talking about? No noise on mine. This is a proflex sump though.

BIG_KAHUNA
08/22/2011, 08:51 AM
I dont understand why photobucket refuses to save pictures after I rotate them. sry bout that

This is how my oceanic 57 turned out (work in progress)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKEBGTPKXc

Oh I also went with the proflex overflow plumbing too

yellowRubi
08/22/2011, 08:54 AM
thats what iam talkin about, but iam plannin of using a 30g breeder as my sump... in the picture the white commin out of the gray short pipe after the 90 elbow is water or a PVC pipe that goes under the water?

BIG_KAHUNA
08/22/2011, 08:56 AM
yeah it is but it flows into a plexiglass cylinder. dont know if you can see it but then returns back up and then down the socks

yellowRubi
08/22/2011, 08:56 AM
yea i just google it, thats a very nice design , but it will be hard for me to do it by myself on the glass 30g, if it would be acrylic than i can glue something like that together...

BIG_KAHUNA
08/22/2011, 09:04 AM
yeah I agree. It just acts as a bubble trap. So as long as you have another form of one you should be good. But to answer your original question, yes it's very quiet!

yellowRubi
08/22/2011, 07:24 PM
picked up a acrylic nanoseacreations sump from a local RC member that ordered it and it didn't fit his stand ( lucky me!!! ) so now I need to figure it out how to plum the drain in that
anyone one build a 4x4 corner out of acrylic with some holes on the bottom and glued it into the corner of ur sump for the drain? i seen it somewhere, but i can't remember where, or should i look into sock filter setup?

ampemployee1
09/12/2011, 08:07 PM
Big_Kahuna/Scott, did you end up using the Proflex model 2? did you use the mid section as a fuge? or convert the mid to the section to house the return with your skimmer, and the third chamber as the fuge? I'm in the process of setting up my 57g illuminata, Proflex Model 2 sump. Thanks, Ed

BIG_KAHUNA
09/13/2011, 05:09 AM
Well, at the time I was still new to the hobby when first setting up the tank and sump. I've come a ways since then lol I have a fuge set up in the center section and return in the last. I run a HOB skimmer in the center section as well. Doesn't really help the fuge in terms of pod population growth as I'm guessing many get sucked into the skimmer. But I do use the fuge for nutrient export.(mangroves and Chaeto, highly recommended as I have NO testable levels of trAtes) Also use a CFL per Melve's reef on an opposite photoperiod from the DT for growth and pH stabilization. As for pod population I built a pod pile in the back of the tank with a bunch of LR rubble. Hope that helps!

BIG_KAHUNA
09/13/2011, 05:13 AM
I call that a noob move but I'm not too sure I'd change it. I would like to have a more powerful skimmer (as we all would right?) but I'm not going to sacrifice my fuge to open up room for a bigger skimmer as the rest of the stand is pretty tight and plan on picking up a couple reactors as well, so no room for external.

BIG_KAHUNA
09/13/2011, 05:15 AM
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/BIG_KAHUNA_/DSCN0982.jpg
Little better view for ya too