PDA

View Full Version : Yellow tangs

stewmiester
08/22/2011, 07:58 AM
I had a pair of yellow tangs in my tank for about two years. The other day one of them died. I always heard if your going to get multiple tangs of the same sub species to introduce them to the tank at the same time. So the question is, how can I add another tang to the tank withought the other one being to aggressive?

nikon187
08/22/2011, 08:49 AM
dependes on the individal personality of your remaining tang. What size tank

MrTuskfish
08/22/2011, 09:57 AM
IMO, you got very lucky with the tangs. Two tangs, especially of the Zebrasoma genus (Yellows) usually destroy each other. Groups of 3+ often do well, though. I think your chances of finding another yellow that will behave like your last one , are very slim.

Phastroh
08/22/2011, 10:48 AM
Geesh there must be a lot of luck then because I see so many display tanks with 3-5 different kinds of tangs in them.

I was actually about to put in my 220Gal the following Tangs.

Blue Hippo
Powder Blue
Yellow
Leuitenant
Blonde Naso
Naso

MrTuskfish
08/22/2011, 12:20 PM
Geesh there must be a lot of luck then because I see so many display tanks with 3-5 different kinds of tangs in them.

I was actually about to put in my 220Gal the following Tangs.

Blue Hippo
Powder Blue
Yellow
Leuitenant
Blonde Naso
Naso

Yeah, this type of approach works. What doesn't work often is just (exactly) 2 of the same species or genus. Either have just one or 3+. Lots of LFS have groups of yellow tangs together, but never just two. But, IMO, you're really pushing it with 2 Nasos in a 220...they get huge.

aquaph8
08/22/2011, 02:24 PM
I agree, Naso can grow up to 18". An 18" fish will make a 225 look like a small tank.

stewmiester
08/25/2011, 06:48 AM
I have several tanks, So te thing I should do is take the one yellow tang out and get 3 more for my main display or take it out and add them at the same time after I've had him out of the tank for awhile?

forddna
08/25/2011, 07:15 AM
My first tangs, introduced at the same time, and coming from..well, the tank I have now in its previous home..were a Yellow and a Purple. They have lived in harmony for 3 years. About 2-2.5 years ago, I added a HUGE Sailfin. Still, no problems.

I also have a Chevron and a Regal. No problems whatsoever. All of them have lived together at least 2 years.

That said, the Purple tortured the Powder Brown I added recently. He didn't make it 2 weeks. :( He never did that before, and doesn't do anything to the others now.

forddna
08/25/2011, 07:16 AM
I was told that if you want a group of Yellow Tangs, if you already have one, forget it. Find him a new home. Then purchase your group and try to get them all about the same size.

spieszak
08/25/2011, 07:17 AM
You didn't post why you think you the fish you are trying to replace died. If you suspect aggression from the remaining tang, then I would think adding another yellow with your existing would be close to impossible. Some people have had luck on occasion (and it usually works in the FW world) with rearranging the rock work when the new addition arrives. This gives you a slim chance that the existing tang won't recognize its territory, and if that actually works, its the same as introducing them at the same time...that is if you can match size and maturity...
Even having said all that, please examine the cause/reason you think your yellow died, because it will give you a lot of answers as to what to do next...

phk36
08/25/2011, 11:49 AM
You may try to section off your old fish with a plexi glass divider giving him a third of the tank. Add your new fish give them a week or two to know the new tank. When you let the old fish out the new fish now know the tank and will hold ground or be able to know where to hide. The other good thing is they all know they are in the same tank and have a chance to get use to the sent of each other. I used this to add large Angles in the past. I had a Majestic, Blue ring , Blue face . Not one had any marks on them . I had them in a 180 fowlr for over two years .