PDA

View Full Version : what is ora "select pair"

125mph
08/22/2011, 10:10 AM
I'm starting to see DD selling ORA clowns as "select pair".. what is this? I've seen "pair" and "mating pair" but never select.

LouZ
08/22/2011, 11:19 AM
I'm just guessing...but looking at the pictures...they seem to be almost identical....so if your planning on breeding....there wont be much if any variation in the offspring.

lazytaper
08/22/2011, 11:37 AM
My assumption would be that they are selected for optimum expression of the type. Out of the large group they breed these are the most in line with their objectives???? Just guessing.

ILLiDaN
08/22/2011, 12:31 PM
Just marketing scheme a nice clownfish should look nice and if your a true enthusiast you know what you like.
Don't really need a store or breeder to tell you its a premium fish.

elegance coral
08/22/2011, 01:31 PM
Just marketing scheme a nice clownfish should look nice and if your a true enthusiast you know what you like.

+1:thumbsup: It's just a way to charge $40 more for a pair. They probably are fish that were "selected" by someone, based on their idea of what a quality fish is. You and I may not agree with their opinion though.

deangelr
08/22/2011, 01:53 PM
I think that $100 is a very fair price for a quality tank raised pair with a guarantee..

vwwanksta69
08/22/2011, 02:12 PM
I think that $100 is a very fair price for a quality tank raised pair with a guarantee..

I agree. I really want the black ice pair thats on DD right now. I dont think I would spend 300$ though for them.

Kent D.
08/22/2011, 06:31 PM
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious or "select", same thing when they want you to pay more moola for fish that are mostly average with nice color.

supernareg
08/23/2011, 12:40 AM
they're a pair of false percs... not even "nicely colored" than average.

WaffleWalffle22
08/23/2011, 05:21 PM
they're a pair of false percs... not even "nicely colored" than average.

Please, stop using that term!

Is an African elephant a false Asian elephant? Is a panda bear a false bear? Is a hammerhead shark a false shark? Is a chimpanzee a false ape? Is a wolf a false dog? Is a tiger a false lion? Is A. ocellaris a face A. percula?

The answer to every question above is "no", so please stop using that term.

supernareg
08/23/2011, 07:34 PM
relax guy... layman terms are fine.

WaffleWalffle22
08/23/2011, 11:00 PM
relax guy... layman terms are fine.

Nope. It's degrading to the species which many love. Sure, you can understand it, but it's bothersome.

Reefvette
08/24/2011, 05:45 PM
Waffle its a common name for ocellaris to be called false percula.

Hes not being mean

WaffleWalffle22
08/24/2011, 08:07 PM
Waffle its a common name for ocellaris to be called false percula.

Hes not being mean

I didn't say he was being mean. It ticks me off when people call it that. It's annoying and improper. Just my strong opinion.

jeff@zina.com
08/25/2011, 05:48 AM
Is a wolf a false dog?
Maybe not, but my cat is a false tiger... :)

Jeff

Easily Distracted
08/25/2011, 08:14 AM
Agreed! It's marketing 101. Unfortunately I've been seeing a lot of over the top naming techniques used on fish and corals in recent years that are driving the hype and prices way up.

Please, stop using that term!

It ticks me off when people call it that. It's annoying and improper. Just my strong opinion.
Yes. It's a very strong opinion. I think that's what seems to be throwing some of the people off in this thread.

Maybe not, but my cat is a false tiger... :)

Well played, sir. My cat was the same. I belive he also thought he was part ninja.

BonsaiNut
08/25/2011, 11:13 AM
so if your planning on breeding....there wont be much if any variation in the offspring.

:) If you've ever bred clowns, you know that the primary determinant of appearance is the environment - water, food, etc. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get "perfect" clowns from perfect adults. That is why misbars are so popular with breeders - they are so much easier to produce than perfect clowns.

125mph
01/06/2017, 11:21 AM
Answered my own question!... It's quite confusing but I guess the select pairs are better than bonded pairs since they've known each other for longer? Select Pairs are like highschool sweethearts, while bonded pairs are fish paired up after arriving in concentration camp lol.

From LiveAquaria:
Thank you for your email. Fish labeled as "bonded pairs" have been paired up at our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility, while those labeled as "select pairs" were kept together at the ORA facility before being moved to our own facility for retail sale. Any time our Diver's Den offers clownfish that were either collected from the wild together or observed spawning together in tanks, they will be listed as "mated pair."

OrionN
01/06/2017, 01:26 PM
It took them 6 years to answer that email from you?

pfan151
01/06/2017, 01:34 PM

Ha. I always assumed select meant they were only a little deformed instead of a total train wreck.

125mph
01/06/2017, 02:16 PM

Yes, but at least they answered the question!

ca1ore
01/06/2017, 05:00 PM

Whenever I send them an email I get this back ...

Thank you for contacting us. We value you as a customer and commit to responding to you inquiry within 1,800 days!

ThRoewer
01/07/2017, 01:19 PM
Answered my own question!... It's quite confusing but I guess the select pairs are better than bonded pairs since they've known each other for longer? Select Pairs are like highschool sweethearts, while bonded pairs are fish paired up after arriving in concentration camp lol.

From LiveAquaria:
Thank you for your email. Fish labeled as "bonded pairs" have been paired up at our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility, while those labeled as "select pairs" were kept together at the ORA facility before being moved to our own facility for retail sale. Any time our Diver's Den offers clownfish that were either collected from the wild together or observed spawning together in tanks, they will be listed as "mated pair."

I've always had the best results when pairing them myself.
Of my 4 percula pairs one was bought as pair, the other 3 I put together by selecting individuals out of a larger group. The pairs I put together from individuals got along from day one, but the pair I bought needed a year to truly get along.
My past experiences are along the same lines.

I would also be very careful with buying a "spawning pair" at a premium price. The required quarantine and transfer to a new tank can screw them up and it may take them a long time to get going again, if ever.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CoralsAddiction
01/12/2017, 05:09 PM
At least now I know what it means.