PDA

View Full Version : (tiny) shrimp reproduction

Cryptoblennie
08/22/2011, 12:26 PM
I recently noticed super tiny shrimp in my tank. I posted some pics and was told they are probably brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp. I have a small population, in that I can confirm I've seen 3 or 4 at any given time. Will these dudes reproduce in the tank? I only have one fish, one Fire Shrimp right now, plus CUC since it's a new tank.

One more question on another topic. I picked up a Vanuatu Rollands Damsel and I've read to feed them everyday, or every 2-3 days. He's a young one. I am making an educated guess in that if you feed everyday, and the fish/critters eat ALL of the food put in the tank, that's ok. But will that develope a routine and then they will expect that everyday?

Thanks.

organism
08/22/2011, 02:26 PM
If the shrimp sort of "float" across the sand then they're mysid, they'll breed in the tank so no worries there. As far as the damsel you don't need to feed it every day, they'll do fine on food every 2-3 days, but they're some aggressive fish and will probably seriously harass/kill any new fish in the tank depending on your tank size. Remember feeding every day is easy to overdo and can have some real bad effects on your water quality.

cloak
08/22/2011, 02:38 PM
You can feed your fish once a day if you like, just make sure your not seeing any of that food hit the ground. Small portions at a time. Here's an article on the shrimp your seeing.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/rs/index.php

Lynnmw1208
08/22/2011, 04:12 PM
yep most likely mysid shrimp. they breed really well in the tank and you will see them in the sump (if you have one) eventually too.

Cryptoblennie
08/23/2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. these little shrimp guys actually are crawling all over the rock, and possible on the sand in the bottom, but it would be hard to see them on the sand since they are almost translucent.

I've read that this type of damsel is less agressive than most, and in most cases will do fine in a community tank. we will see. ;-)

thanks all for the responses.

cloak
08/23/2011, 10:43 AM
Here's another good article. These things crawl all over the rocks and along the bottom.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php