PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dips do you recommend for incoming fish???

audiowerks
08/22/2011, 12:49 PM
Maybe theres a thread about this that I havent been able to find, but im curious what meds people treat their fish with before putting them in quarantine.

Right now my qt setup is a 80g curved glass Jebo drilled for overflow with asm G3 and biopellet reactor. The tank has about 100 pounds of liverock (tons of life, almost like a refigium), which gives the fish something to pick at until i get them eating. For this reason i dont use copper in my qt, I prefer to treat with dips before putting them in there.

right now when i get new fish in, i do a 1 - 2 hr drip, then once the salinity is up, I add methyl blue and airstone for 30 min. then second bucket with tank water, airstone and formailin for 30 seconds, and into the QT. Ive had good luck with this method for most, but have tried three occelaris clowns that died about a week into QT.

opinions, experiences or criticisms? what works for you guys?

AquaticFins
08/22/2011, 01:14 PM
At home, I use Methylene Blue and Praziquantel while they're drip-acclimating.

Everything else I'll use in response to something I've observed in the QT tank.

AquaticFins
08/22/2011, 01:15 PM
EDIT: Double-post, sorry.

fishfreak2009
08/22/2011, 01:23 PM
I acclimate, then do a 3-5 minute dip in freshwater/methylene blue (with adjusted temp and pH) , followed by 30 days in a barebottom 75 with some pvc. With fish like butterflies, angels and tangs, I dose prazi-pro at least 2 times while they're in quarantine.

Quarantine has proven essential to me after everything but my ocellaris clown pair was wiped out by Amlyoodinium.

WuHT
08/22/2011, 02:01 PM
even a FW dip won't catch everything. However, since you dip pre-QT you'll ultimately catch the majority it feels like.

barebottom w/ PVC is my preferred method. Cupramine and prazipro regardless of whether i see scratching or not (after a week of them feeding boldly)

audiowerks
08/22/2011, 10:49 PM
thanks for the input? are you using the Hikari prazipro? just follow directions on bottle?

MrTuskfish
08/23/2011, 09:45 AM
thanks for the input? are you using the Hikari prazipro? just follow directions on bottle?

Yes.If you have questions, Hikari has great tech support, phone is on the bottle. Of course, don't expect this to do anything for ich.

audiowerks
08/23/2011, 09:56 AM
Luckily havent had any issues witht ich (knock on wood), more concerned about cleaning fish out from fungus, flukes, and worms or any parasite/infection they may come in with.

LargeAngels
08/23/2011, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately most dips won't remove all the parasites, or eggs, on the fish so if they are infected the will need to be treated appropriately after you do dips.

I only view dips as investigative, to determine if they have (velvet or flukes) or as temporary relief before treatment.

MrTuskfish
08/23/2011, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately most dips won't remove all the parasites, or eggs, on the fish so if they are infected the will need to be treated appropriately after you do dips.

I only view dips as investigative, to determine if they have (velvet or flukes) or as temporary relief before treatment.
Well put. I would need three paragraphs to say the same thing.

snorvich
08/23/2011, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately most dips won't remove all the parasites, or eggs, on the fish so if they are infected the will need to be treated appropriately after you do dips. emphasis is mine not LargeAngels

Exactly.

audiowerks
08/23/2011, 04:57 PM
so instead of all the cryptic answers and innuendo, why dont you tell me what you recommend?

LargeAngels
08/24/2011, 06:38 AM
What would be recommended is a dedicated QT that you can add chemicals, such as Cupramine and Prazipro, and not depend on dips as the sole treatment. Ich and velvet I use Cupramine and ALL fish for me get 2 rounds of Prazipro for flukes.

snorvich
08/24/2011, 06:52 AM
What would be recommended is a dedicated QT that you can add chemicals, such as Cupramine and Prazipro, and not depend on dips as the sole treatment. Ich and velvet I use Cupramine and ALL fish for me get 2 rounds of Prazipro for flukes.

That is what is recommended.

MrTuskfish
08/24/2011, 07:24 AM
That's about what I do. I don't dip any fish, except to provide some immediate relief for a fish that appears to possibly have flukes or velvet.