PDA

View Full Version : Simulate a cloud w/o VDM module?

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 02:55 PM
I have leds connected to the apex unit. But I don't have a VDM module (yet). I'm slowly acclimating my corals to the LEDs because they recently replaced my halide.

Can the OSC statement be used to simulate a cloud cover situation to provide an hour or half hour of lower intensity output from the LEDs?

I assume the the OSC command could enable for only certain times of the day?

I am not very adapt using the OSC command in general so any help assuming this could be done would be appreciated.

RussM
08/22/2011, 04:51 PM
How are the LEDs currently connected to the Apex?

aquamanic
08/22/2011, 04:53 PM
Assuming your LED is dimmable, I'd just use two profiles and the 'if time' statement(s). One profile might be 100% and the other would be 50%. Then you could do something like this:

Set pf_100
If Time 09:00 to 10:00 Then pf_50
If Time 13:00 to 15:00 Then pf_50

your intensity will be 100% except during those two time periods.

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 07:33 PM
How are the LEDs currently connected to the Apex?

They are connected through the v1/v2 port.

Here is a link (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/diy-projects-plans/diy-apex-meanwell-cable-17899/) to how I connected them.

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 07:38 PM
Here is my current program:

Profile Setup:

Profile Name: RampUP
Control Type: Ramp
Ramp Profile Setup:
Ramp Time (minutes): 120
Initial Intensity: 0
End Intensity: 20

Profile Name: RampDWN
Ramp Profile Setup:
Initial Intensity: 20
End Intensity: 0

Profile Name: RampUP-2
Ramp Profile Setup:
Ramp Time (minutes): 60
Initial Intensity: 0
End Intensity: 10

Profile Name: RampUP-3
Ramp Profile Setup:
Initial Intensity: 10
End Intensity: 20

Virtual Outlet Setup-

Outlet Name: Whites_Dim
Control Type: Advanced
Icon: Light A
Advanced Setup:
Set OFF
If Time 09:00 to 11:00 Then RampUP-2
If Time 11:00 to 19:00 Then RampUP-3
If Time 19:00 to 22:00 Then RampDWN

Outlet Name: Blues_Dim
Control Type: Advanced
Icon: Light B
Advanced Setup:
Set OFF
If Time 06:00 to 22:00 Then RampUP
If Time 22:00 to 23:59 Then RampDWN

RussM
08/22/2011, 09:32 PM
But I don't have a VDM module (yet).
They are connected through the v1/v2 port..
Since you already have dimming control using the Apex built-in VS ports, you don't need a VDM, unless you just want the extra flexibility of physically placing the VDM with its 4 VS ports closer to the lighting drivers.

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 09:36 PM
I guess the other thing the VDM seems to have is the cloud cover setting which I think would be nice...

I think would be nice is to have a random cloud setting that would occur X% of the time during the day. Not even sure if that is how the VDM works or not?

RussM
08/22/2011, 10:05 PM
I guess the other thing the VDM seems to have is the cloud cover setting which I think would be nice...

I think would be nice is to have a random cloud setting that would occur X% of the time during the day. Not even sure if that is how the VDM works or not?You can use the Weather profile type with the built-in VS ports (requires v4.04 or newer firmware). Only the lightning features of the Weather profile won't work - it works only with AI SOL lighting. The cloud effects should work for you.

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 10:15 PM
Hey that's good to know. Not sure off the top of my head what firmware I'm on, but its about a year old. I don't think the lightening is a big feature for me. But the cloud cover seems like it might be worthwhile to check out.

Now I just need to lay my hands on a PC. There still isn't a way to update firmware with a mac is there?

RussM
08/22/2011, 10:20 PM
Now I just need to lay my hands on a PC. There still isn't a way to update firmware with a mac is there?Some people have had luck with the beta OS/X flash utility. I'm not one of them - I have yet to get it to work under Snow Leopard or Lion. But I run both BootCamp and Fusion, so I just do firmware updates under Win7 either booted natively or in a VM.

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 10:29 PM
I don't have any windows option setup on my macs. Almost never have this situation come up. Where do I get the beta flash utility? Any dangers of bricking the controller with it?

RussM
08/22/2011, 10:35 PM
I don't have any windows option setup on my macs. Almost never have this situation come up. Where do I get the beta flash utility? Any dangers of bricking the controller with it?www.neptune.sys, Support, Downloads. As for bricking the Apex, yes, sort of... every time I've tried with Mac, I had to use the Windows flash utility to recover from the resultant failed firmware upload. YMMV. But I'd err on the side of caution, and just borrow a Windows notebook.

jimsflies
08/22/2011, 10:36 PM
yeah... good advice. Save myself the extra aggravation that way. Thanks!!!!

jimsflies
08/28/2011, 05:12 PM
You can use the Weather profile type with the built-in VS ports (requires v4.04 or newer firmware). Only the lightning features of the Weather profile won't work - it works only with AI SOL lighting. The cloud effects should work for you.

Finally got the firmware updated. But I don't think the cloud function is working?

RussM
08/28/2011, 05:42 PM
Post your current programs and profiles, Jim.

jimsflies
08/28/2011, 08:05 PM
Here is the lighting parts of my program:

I was messing with the profile called Full-B to make a cloud so I have the cloud info on that one turned to what I think should be all the time....if I understand it right, I have it set so that 100% of the time it should be cloudy with 1% of the light (so in this program, my blues would basically be off).

Firmware: 4.10_6D11
Listing generated: 08/28/2011 21:58:43

PROGRAM

Whites_Dim [0]
Program Type: Advanced
Display Icon: Light A
Program:
Set OFF
If Time 09:00 to 11:00 Then RampUP-2
If Time 11:00 to 13:00 Then RampUP-3
If Time 13:00 to 19:00 Then Full-W
If Time 19:00 to 22:00 Then RampDWN
If Time 22:00 to 09:00 Then OFF

Blues_Dim [1]
Display Icon: Light B
Program:
Set OFF
If Time 06:00 to 22:00 Then RampUP
If Time 08:00 to 22:00 Then Full-B
If Time 22:00 to 01:00 Then RampDWN
If Time 01:00 to 06:00 Then OFF

WhiteLEDs [7]
Program Type: Light
Display Icon: Light A
Program:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:00 to 22:15 Then ON
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

ActinicLED [8]
Program Type: Light
Display Icon: Light B
Program:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 06:00 to 01:00 Then ON
If Temp > 85.0 Then OFF
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

Halide-Fan [9]
Display Icon: Fan
Program:
Fallback ON
If Outlet WhiteLEDs = ON Then ON

PROFILES

RampUP [PF1]
Type: Ramp
RampTime: 120
StartIntensity: 0
EndIntensity: 20

RampDWN [PF2]
RampTime: 180
StartIntensity: 20
EndIntensity: 0

RampUP-2 [PF3]
RampTime: 60
EndIntensity: 10

RampUP-3 [PF4]
RampTime: 120
StartIntensity: 10
EndIntensity: 25

Full-B [PF5]
Type: Weather
MinIntensity: 5
MaxIntensity: 25
Cloud Light Intensity: 1
Cloudy Percent: 100
Probability of Lightning (%): 0
Lighting Intensity (%): 0

Full-W [PF6]
MinIntensity: 18
MaxIntensity: 25
Cloud Light Intensity: 15
Cloudy Percent: 15
Probability of Lightning (%): 1

jimsflies
08/29/2011, 07:03 PM
After fiddling with it and renaming a profile and restarting, etc. etc. it magically started working.

I did notice that after a power failure, it seems that aquanotes isn't getting the power restored notice now. It appears on the app that the power is out even though it is back on. Is there a setting in the new firmware, or is this a bug...or do I need to update the iphone app now?

It seems to have something to do with the power monitor (enabled) on the misc setup page.

peiloy3196
09/01/2011, 10:30 AM
Does your cloud program work now? I am trying to set it up but it does not seem to be working. I am using similar programing.

RussM
09/01/2011, 10:38 AM
After fiddling with it and renaming a profile and restarting, etc. etc. it magically started working.

I did notice that after a power failure, it seems that aquanotes isn't getting the power restored notice now. It appears on the app that the power is out even though it is back on. Is there a setting in the new firmware, or is this a bug...or do I need to update the iphone app now?

It seems to have something to do with the power monitor (enabled) on the misc setup page.Did you see this post: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19216886&postcount=33

peiloy3196
09/01/2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry Russ. I should have been clearer. My issue is with the cloud profile not working for me. Here is my programming for my dimmable T5s:

Blue_T5s [0]
Display Icon: Up/Down Arrows
Program:
If Sun 210/105 Then T5Dim
If Outlet Cloudy = ON Then Cloud

Red_T5s [1]
Display Icon: Up/Down Arrows
Program:
If Sun 225/090 Then T5Dim

T5Dim [PF1]
RampTime: 15
EndIntensity: 100

Cloud [PF15]
MinIntensity: 30
MaxIntensity: 100
Cloudy Percent: 90

Cloudy is a manual virtual outlet. When I switch it to manual on, nothing happens. When I switch it back to off the Sun program seems to start over with the T5s ramping up from 0 to 100 over a 15 min period.

RussM
09/01/2011, 11:08 AM
Cloudy is a manual virtual outlet. When I switch it to manual on, nothing happens. When I switch it back to off the Sun program seems to start over with the T5s ramping up from 0 to 100 over a 15 min period.I don't see what the problem could be for the Cloud profile not working.

But for the Sun ramp restart issue, there is a solution. Create 2 new virtual outlet callled SunnyBlue and SunnyRed. Program those outlets as follows:

[SunnyBlue]
Set OFF
If Sun 210/105 Then On

[SunnyRed]
Set OFF
If Sun 225/090 Then On

Then change the T5 outlets to this:

[Blue_T5s]
Set Off
If Outlet SunnyBlue = ON Then T5Dim

[Red_T5s]
Set Off
If Outlet SunnyRed = ON Then T5Dim

RussM
09/01/2011, 11:09 AM
Did you see this post: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19216886&postcount=33peiloy, this was in reply to Jimsflies' issue with Power Restored.

RussM
09/01/2011, 11:20 AM
My issue is with the cloud profile not working for me.

Cloud [PF15]
MinIntensity: 30
MaxIntensity: 100
Cloudy Percent: 90

Cloudy is a manual virtual outlet. When I switch it to manual on, nothing happens.

I think I see now what the problem might be... that Cloud Light Intensity value of 1% may be too low. Some dimmable drivers/ballasts don't work with very low 0-10VDC control voltages. For example, Meanwell ELN-series drivers need about 1 volt to turn the LEDs on at all. Since you have the clouds set to be active 90% of the time, you may not have had the Cloud profile active long enough to see anything happen. Try changing the Cloud Light Intensity up to 20% and see what happens when you turn on the Cloudy VO. If that works, then refine the values more to your preferences... if my theory is correct, it may take some experimenting to determine exactly how low you can go on the intensity % and still keep the lights on dimmly.

peiloy3196
09/01/2011, 07:49 PM
peiloy, this was in reply to Jimsflies' issue with Power Restored.

Ahhh, sorry about that.

peiloy3196
09/01/2011, 07:54 PM
I think I see now what the problem might be... that Cloud Light Intensity value of 1% may be too low. Some dimmable drivers/ballasts don't work with very low 0-10VDC control voltages. For example, Meanwell ELN-series drivers need about 1 volt to turn the LEDs on at all. Since you have the clouds set to be active 90% of the time, you may not have had the Cloud profile active long enough to see anything happen. Try changing the Cloud Light Intensity up to 20% and see what happens when you turn on the Cloudy VO. If that works, then refine the values more to your preferences... if my theory is correct, it may take some experimenting to determine exactly how low you can go on the intensity % and still keep the lights on dimmly.

Strangely enough the setting is actually Cloud duration (mmm) on the apex. I cut and pasted from the program lister on reeftronics and it is listed as cloud intensity there. Not sure which it actually is.

I will try to adjust the setting though to see if anything changes.

RussM
09/01/2011, 08:48 PM
Strangely enough the setting is actually Cloud duration (mmm) on the apex. I cut and pasted from the program lister on reeftronics and it is listed as cloud intensity there. Not sure which it actually is.There was a logic error in the Reeftronics Program & Profile Lister which caused cloud duration to be listed as cloud intensity, and the actual cloud intensity value was ignored - I obviously missed that when testing. I also found a small programming error for the display of Vortech anti-sync profiles.
:headwally:

I just fixed both. I also changed the order of many of the profile parameters as listed in the report to match the order in which they appear in the Apex web pages with newer firmware.

peiloy3196
09/03/2011, 10:16 AM
Russ.
I have updated the programming as you stated but still have the same issue. When I turn the cloudy outlet off the dim cycle starts over.

I still have not have been able to simulate any clouds either. The lights just seem to stay at 100% when the cloudy outlet is on even though I have a 95% probability of clouds. I'm really stumped here.

peiloy3196
09/03/2011, 11:02 AM
Ok so after rebooting a couple of times and waiting for a while the clouds are working. I still have the first problem though of when the cloudy outlet turns off the cycle restarts.

Any ideas?

peiloy3196
09/04/2011, 09:46 AM
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

jimsflies
09/04/2011, 11:02 AM
Looks like you figured out the issue with getting the clouds to work. I ended up creating a new profile, switching to that, then renmaing the exising one and going back to that. For some reason, it just wasn't picking up the clouds on the existing profile. But after dinking with it, it "caught on".

The restarting the profile I think is normal behavior. If I switch to manual or change a profile, it will start back at the beginning. The best way to deal with that is to create multiple profiles with shorter intervals. So that when you have to manually override you aren't starting from the wrong point in your photo period when you switch back to auto.