PDA

View Full Version : Breeding question?

RandyReefer
08/22/2011, 04:36 PM
I am getting into breeding a pair of true perculas. When they spawn do I have to setup another tank to rear them in or can I keep them in my current tank with the parents and raise them there.

vwwanksta69
08/22/2011, 04:44 PM
I am getting into breeding a pair of true perculas. When they spawn do I have to setup another tank to rear them in or can I keep them in my current tank with the parents and raise them there.

Another tank will be needed.

RandyReefer
08/22/2011, 04:47 PM
Another tank will be needed.

Would the clownfish eat the fry it something?

NirvanaFan
08/22/2011, 06:51 PM
yup. A new tank will be needed. You'll have to raise rotifers too.

vwwanksta69
08/22/2011, 07:04 PM
I would suggest getting joyces book about clownfish if you havnt already

elegance coral
08/22/2011, 07:14 PM
I would suggest getting joyces book about clownfish if you havnt already

+1 Don't even attempt it without reading the above book. Unfortunately, it's out of print, and has quadrupled in price. It's a rather complicated process that takes quite a bit on time and devotion. You simply will not be successful without some studying first.

vwwanksta69
08/22/2011, 07:34 PM
I heard Matt Wittenrich has a good book thats a bit cheaper

reefstew
08/22/2011, 08:22 PM
Matt's book is great but it has a little info on a lot of species when Joyces book is all about clownfish.

deangelr
08/22/2011, 09:15 PM
Wilkerson's book is great, but very outdated.. No need to culture phyto anymore.. Many don't use rotifers past around day 4 and some not even at all.. I wouldn't buy her book unless you can find it at a reasonable price..

I like Matt's book.. there are also plenty of threads with great info.. It's not rocket science, but you will need to do a lot of reading..

*edit.. Unless things have changed.. you can call Reed Mariculture and they will help you get started..