PDA

View Full Version : Took a drive to glasscages today and......

RL321
08/22/2011, 05:02 PM
Ended up picking up a reef tank, origanally was gonna purchase a 29 and ended up with this for $98. They have tanks that customers have ordered and for whatever reason never picked up or whatever? What ya think?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02695.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02692.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02689.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02693.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02688.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02687.jpg

pico-reefer
08/22/2011, 05:27 PM
They probably never picked them up becuase they heard about glasscages quality after they ordered and got scared.

VaderWS6
08/22/2011, 05:29 PM
Nice, what size is that, 60 gallon?

RL321
08/22/2011, 05:39 PM
They probably never picked them up becuase they heard about glasscages quality after they ordered and got scared.

Well it looks well built, are you serious? What have you heard that i haven't

RL321
08/22/2011, 05:39 PM
Nice, what size is that, 60 gallon?

Its 24x24x17 If i did the formula correct it comes out to be 42 gallons.

Bedroomgangsta
08/22/2011, 05:40 PM
Oh jeeze, you may want to do some research on RC through the forums and check up on GC. There will be positive and negative feedback but Im gonna bank on more negative. I always hear about bad silicone jobs, poor construction, leaking, etc...Some others have had nothing but good things to say but from what I have seen that is few and far between.

mfinn
08/22/2011, 05:41 PM
Looks like a very stout tank. You know,,,, built like a tank....lol

mfinn
08/22/2011, 05:42 PM
fyi, I've had 2 GC tanks and loved both. My latest is a 240 and I've had it for 5-1/2 years now

RL321
08/22/2011, 06:00 PM
I live 30 min. away and it looks ok to me. We shall see huh? LOL Who do ya listen to the ones with good experiences or the bad ones?

Bedroomgangsta
08/22/2011, 06:03 PM
Lol you go with what you think is best. Percentages are only numbers, youll have to be the judge yourself.

fronty
08/22/2011, 09:40 PM
Where are they located?

robot2222
08/23/2011, 12:41 AM
looks pretty sweet to me . looks like a hundred dollars well spent . good luck to you can't wait to see the build .

Flame_Angel
08/23/2011, 01:26 AM
Glasscages has excellent quality. The problem is people get impatient and expect it to be on their doorstep the next morning, and Glasscages takes the time to put everything together right. The moment you bug them about your order, you can expect it to take a while; if you order and let them work, they do fine.

I've never had a problem with the fit and finish or build quality of any tank I've ordered from them. Ever.

MGDMIRAGE
08/23/2011, 01:26 AM
I certainly don't think it will come apart :D Most of the glasscages tanks i've seen pictures of look fine.

cody6766
08/23/2011, 06:18 AM
Most of what I've read about them is they have crappy service and sloppy silicone jobs. It also seems that they try to duck out of warranty coverage if they can come up with any excuse to do it. I read about a few tank failures, but it didn't seem to be a terrible ammount. Customer reviews about GC, all in all, seem to be about 50/50.

Do a leak test outside and make sure the stand is up to snuff if it doesn't leak. I'm sure it'll be fine if it starts out okay. I wouldn't be scared, just double check things as you always should.

Markdiego
08/23/2011, 06:31 PM
Looks like a nice tank. Just go over the seams and make sure it looks tight

nate82
08/23/2011, 06:39 PM
Very nice, I have the same footprint except my tanks an inch taller :-p. You should paint the overflow black to hide the plumbing.

pico-reefer
08/23/2011, 06:59 PM
glasscages has excellent quality. The problem is people get impatient and expect it to be on their doorstep the next morning, and glasscages takes the time to put everything together right. The moment you bug them about your order, you can expect it to take a while; if you order and let them work, they do fine.

I've never had a problem with the fit and finish or build quality of any tank i've ordered from them. Ever.

lol!!!!!!

mfinn
08/23/2011, 07:07 PM
Glasscages has excellent quality. The problem is people get impatient and expect it to be on their doorstep the next morning, and Glasscages takes the time to put everything together right. The moment you bug them about your order, you can expect it to take a while; if you order and let them work, they do fine.

I've never had a problem with the fit and finish or build quality of any tank I've ordered from them. Ever.

you sure we are talking about the same company?

I've owned 2 and the best I can say is they are a good low budget tank maker.

Flame_Angel
08/24/2011, 05:43 AM
lol!!!!!!

you sure we are talking about the same company?

I've owned 2 and the best I can say is they are a good low budget tank maker.
I'm sorry if you guys have had bad luck with them, but I've never had any issues with the company. Pretty sure this thread wasn't created to discuss the merits of GlassCages, so it'd probably be best to stop derailing it.

RL321
08/24/2011, 06:12 AM
Very nice, I have the same footprint except my tanks an inch taller :-p. You should paint the overflow black to hide the plumbing.

What kind/manufacturer of paint should i use, and i am geussing you paint the outside?Never had to paint one before. Was also considering building a rock wall to wrap the overflow and back.

Flame_Angel
08/24/2011, 08:34 AM
GC also makes acrylic covers for the overflows, if you just want to buy something and put it on.

pico-reefer
08/24/2011, 12:05 PM
What kind/manufacturer of paint should i use, and i am geussing you paint the outside?Never had to paint one before. Was also considering building a rock wall to wrap the overflow and back.

use krylon fusion. perfectly safe in the water.

Wrench
08/24/2011, 12:59 PM
There are 30+ gc tanks owned by members of my local club and no one has ever had an issue. The silicone and detail work could be better. You get what you pay for. They are functional. If you want pretty, pay double for miracles or age. Below is my take on the bad press they get-

1.) a lot of the mouthing off that I see/ hear is from people that don't own or never have owned a gc tank but regurgitate what they've read on the forums.

2.) buyers get agitated because they feel gc is taking too long. When the tank arrives they are already ticked and can't wait to nit-pick the tank to death just wanting to find something else to complain about. This is easily avoided because gc posts the delivery schedule on their site. If you are unhappy win how long it will take them to come to your area then don't order the tank!

3.) peoe order the tank and put it on a crappy stand, not level or with no foam under it. Gonna leak for sure. Not the tanks' fault!

ganjero
08/24/2011, 01:17 PM
Honestly, it looks like an eyesore. Eurobrace for that size? extra glass on the euro brace? and top it off with a huge black trim? and then none of these on the back panel?
It looks too weird for my taste. I hope this is something that somebody wanted done this way and not a GC design. If it was their design that shows their quality at building tanks.

Just being honest.

mfinn
08/24/2011, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry if you guys have had bad luck with them, but I've never had any issues with the company. Pretty sure this thread wasn't created to discuss the merits of GlassCages, so it'd probably be best to stop derailing it.

The OP said,,," What do you think?"
so we said what we think.

As far as what you said about GC having excellent quality tanks. Not even on their best day would anybody that knows their tanks would say that.

I've had 2 of their tanks and I think they are great tanks for the money.
They are a good low budget tank maker.

Flame_Angel
08/24/2011, 02:36 PM
I've had 2 of their tanks and I think they are great tanks for the money.
They are a good low budget tank maker.
Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully think you're wrong.

ganjero
08/24/2011, 04:23 PM
The important thing is if the owner likes it. If (s)he does, excellent nothing else matters.

gveng
08/24/2011, 06:24 PM
take the black trim off please!!

please correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think you can paint a glass overflow w/ fusion paint.

tozzi
08/24/2011, 06:40 PM
Looks like a good built tank, especially for a 100$ Good budget tanks from GC'S

Ive never heard that complaint from anyone. Dont see how that could even b a complaint when the delivery schedule is on their website. Only thing i really ever hear bad is that their edges arent cut very clean, very short warranty, and real sloppy silicone jobs. Ive only heard of 2 failures. Then again with the amount of tanks they pump out, your bound to get a few bad ones

FiShScaLe
08/24/2011, 07:16 PM
I like it, and I really like the price tag. Like someone said percentages are only numbers. So make sure the tanks level and fill her up!!

RL321
08/24/2011, 09:18 PM
Yes the price was right! I am happy with the size! All this negativaty is killing me :) I was honestly looking to get a BC 29 and said what the h-ll i liked the size and cost! I have a 20 long for a sump, SWC 120 skimmer on the way, lights up in the air ( probably ATI SunPower 6 x 24" 24 Watt T5 Fixture ) Yhe more i look at the tank i think i can do something with it! I am an HVAC service tech. with ALOT of experience in not just HVAC, I am a great carpenter also, so was thinking mabe wrap the edges of the tank with some oak trim ( edged with router)?? Thats what i was thinking while sitting here lokking at it? Its not a bad tank for the price and it does have possibilities. So give me a few ideas on this tank instead of just.....No matter what its gonna happen and i know you all will be intrested if it leaked, blew up. imploded, or just evaporated into space. I will tell ya i haven't put any water in it yet and hell i am wondering myself just the same as i would be with anything that is supposed to hold water LOL :D

maddmaxx
08/24/2011, 09:22 PM
water test it, throw a canopy on top and fill that damn thing up, the tank is fine, a unique design over all. not many people have it, plus under a &100.... im sayin its a SCORE!

RL321
08/24/2011, 09:27 PM
I will def. keep posting pics. It is built like a tank and i do have a few ideas now that i've been looking at it so long LOL Anybody have any opionons on my lights? Now that is one tning i could use some constructive critisism on lol

jpfishfan09
08/24/2011, 09:39 PM
I think a canopy would help

RL321
08/24/2011, 11:23 PM
water test it, throw a canopy on top and fill that damn thing up, the tank is fine, a unique design over all. not many people have it, plus under a &100.... im sayin its a SCORE!

I hear ya NJ. for under a bill i didn't see a problem!! I'm optomistric :D

J-Burns
08/25/2011, 01:58 PM
Looks good to me :)

maddmaxx
08/25/2011, 05:49 PM
I hear ya NJ. for under a bill i didn't see a problem!! I'm optomistric :D

hahaha pointing out nj huh niceeee...

tozzi
08/26/2011, 07:01 PM
Youll b happy with the swc skimmer. Mine is great ( 250a1 ) , love the build quality

Faye
08/26/2011, 07:49 PM
Ive heard of stories from GC that wouldn't make me take a tank from them for free. A few years back I got a quote from them and asked a few questions, they were pretty rude. So i looked them up on the internet for reviews and saw people claiming the front panel on their 210 gallon tank just swung open, instantly draing the tank. There are threads about law suits ect. OP I would leak test it for a week or two just to be safe. Id rather spend a little extra and get quality as opposed to pay dirt cheap and get garbage, but that's just me. Not saying your tank looks bad, just speaking in generality.

andyrm66
08/27/2011, 10:16 AM
Ive heard of stories from GC that wouldn't make me take a tank from them for free. A few years back I got a quote from them and asked a few questions, they were pretty rude. So i looked them up on the internet for reviews and saw people claiming the front panel on their 210 gallon tank just swung open, instantly draing the tank. There are threads about law suits ect. OP I would leak test it for a week or two just to be safe. Id rather spend a little extra and get quality as opposed to pay dirt cheap and get garbage, but that's just me. Not saying your tank looks bad, just speaking in generality.
Lol just swung open, like a floodgate? Got a link?

Curious George
08/27/2011, 10:25 AM
Rl321-

Did you get it up and running or make any progress with the build? It looks like it will make a very cool looking reef. I like the size and shape.

I know a girl that keeps Tropheus and she has 8 (80 gallon) tanks by GC. She has never had a problem with any of them and still continues to buy them. I have read, but never seen bad things with Glass Cages Tanks.

I don't believe anything on TV is real, and the internet is one peg lower on the totem pole in my book.

on the spot
08/27/2011, 12:51 PM
What ya think?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02695.jpg

I think the tank and barbell have classic U-tube moment written all over it.

lordofthereef
08/27/2011, 01:03 PM
i think the tank and barbell have classic u-tube moment written all over it.

:thumbsup:

Al
08/27/2011, 01:27 PM
Eurobrace for that size? extra glass on the euro brace? and top it off with a huge black trim? and then none of these on the back panel?

I don't think there being no eurobrace on the back panel is significant. The back panel is braced at the the sides, and braced to the bottom by the overflow. The black trim - ehhh, but most commercially built tanks are made that way. I think its a good deal.

username in use
08/27/2011, 01:39 PM
I think the tank and barbell have classic U-tube moment written all over it.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kPIoTKMa3zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

geaux xman
08/27/2011, 02:12 PM
Honestly, it looks like an eyesore. Eurobrace for that size? extra glass on the euro brace? and top it off with a huge black trim? and then none of these on the back panel?
It looks too weird for my taste. I hope this is something that somebody wanted done this way and not a GC design. If it was their design that shows their quality at building tanks.

Just being honest.

+1, my thoughts exactly.

Thats a lot of bracing(top and bottom) for a 24x24x17" tank.
Maybe GC doesnt like to waste glass and whatever extra pieces they have, they use it for bracing..
I think it will hold water fine.

RL321
08/31/2011, 05:08 AM
Ok, here's an update. I am in the process of building a stand ( stand thread here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063279 )and am letting it sit with water while i stain/poly the stand. I removed the top trim and started scraping some of the silicone, are there any shortcuts to aid in removing the silicone film left after removing the bulk of silicone???

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02722.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02736.jpg

I am in the process of puting the sump together, skimmer ->fuge->return.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/rl321/DSC02737.jpg

walvis
08/31/2011, 05:28 AM
Looks like you got a steal for a custom made tank.
Regarding GC, they may not be the best, however, I have heard problems with aquariums leaking from Marineland and Oceanic as well and what not.
Bottom line it can happen with everybody.

Good luck with your build...

Amoore311
08/31/2011, 07:30 AM
20+ Glass Cages tanks in my club as well, not a single problem with any of them.

I will say the silicone work can be little sloppy, and the customer service is average at best. However, getting a tank+shipping for %25 cheaper then any other quote (not including shipping) is well worth me having to trim a little bit of silicone.

I've seen 2 large tanks have problems on here from Glasscages. Oddly enough, neither OP in either of the 2 threads cared to verify the stands/tanks were level to prove it was a tank defect and not their own stupidity/neglect.

Also, to those caring about warranty.... ignore it. Read the fine print on even the high end tank manufacturer's websites. Warranties for fish tanks from any company aren't worth the paper they are printed on.