PDA

View Full Version : vertex bio-pellet?

stagcrazy
08/22/2011, 05:46 PM
first off hello everyone,i have a couple questions and hope u guys can help.

#1 i have about 150g water volume and it is a new setup.the tank has been running 9 days when can i add bio-pellets.

#2 how much do you guys rec

#3 i hear mixed reviews on how the should run in a reactor should they tumble should they be more of a light tumble or no tumble at all lol.

#4 do you guys wait till the pellets run out or keep adding as you see them go down.

any help would be highly appreciated also if you have a pic of your tank on bio-pellets please post.

texgv
08/22/2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Stagcrazy

You should run it from day 1, in fact if you had cured them before, you would see a very fast cycle, I used cured BPs from my other tank and my tank cycled in a week. The reactor is a must, and I use them tumbling as hard as I can get them to tumble, since you are starting using in a new tank, you should use the recommended manufactures dose . Put them in the reactor and make a mark on it, so you'll know how much has depleted and add more correctly but they seem to last a long time, also you should soak them in water a day or two before turning the pump on , otherwise they will float and scape the reactor.

Good luck!

stagcrazy
08/22/2011, 07:04 PM
Hi Stagcrazy

You should run it from day 1, in fact if you had cured them before, you would see a very fast cycle, I used cured BPs from my other tank and my tank cycled in a week. The reactor is a must, and I use them tumbling as hard as I can get them to tumble, since you are starting using in a new tank, you should use the recommended manufactures dose . Put them in the reactor and make a mark on it, so you'll know how much has depleted and add more correctly but they seem to last a long time, also you should soak them in water a day or two before turning the pump on , otherwise they will float and scape the reactor.

Good luck!

ok tyvm

stagcrazy
08/22/2011, 09:12 PM
also have you guys noticed if it kills your skimmer.

texgv
08/22/2011, 09:32 PM
yep, it will work again in a few days time.

stagcrazy
08/22/2011, 09:49 PM
ok thanks. i started with 300 ml thats about the mid way point that is recommended

wizardx322
08/22/2011, 11:52 PM
first off hello everyone,i have a couple questions and hope u guys can help.

#1 i have about 150g water volume and it is a new setup.the tank has been running 9 days when can i add bio-pellets.

#2 how much do you guys rec

#3 i hear mixed reviews on how the should run in a reactor should they tumble should they be more of a light tumble or no tumble at all lol.

#4 do you guys wait till the pellets run out or keep adding as you see them go down.

any help would be highly appreciated also if you have a pic of your tank on bio-pellets please post.

i would start with about 50% to 75% of the recommended amount on the pellets that what i did.

i run mine in a phosban 150 with a strong tumble to keep them from sticking together and i just add some every couple of months.

you wanna run the output of the reactor with the pellets as close to the skimmer as possible.