PDA

View Full Version : DB 75 RR Plumbing Help

dimitrge
08/23/2011, 09:43 AM
Got a Deep Blue 75g RR not the edgeless one. Im having a problem with the return not pushing water up fast enough. I have an ocean runner 2500 for a return pump which pushes 650 gph. I would assume thats enough. I shortened the return hose to help its 4ft with another 1 1/2ft to top, tried a ball valve and that didnt work. Flipped the durso. Water level rose to bottom of the trim but it makes alot of noise and doesnt skim correctly. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. I was thinking of getting a barb insert reducer and reducining the line to slow down the flow coming into the sump. Thanks

evsalty
08/23/2011, 09:57 AM
Thats the problem. Its draining into the sump faster than its pumping it up. I have a return pump rated for 650 gph. Its pumping it up 3/4 line and coming into the sump from an 1 1/2 line. I need to slow down the water just enough so that the pump can equalize. Ball valve didnt work. Flipping the durso did work but is loud and doesnt skim properly. Sump has about 6 in worth of water and wont overflow.

That is you on MHR right?

Like the poster over there said, your drain should only drain what your pump is pumping into the display tank. There is one exception and that is if you are running a full siphon then it could PULL more water then you pump if the water level is above the drain. But if your drain is wide open then you should be drawing in water and air mix which should only flow as much as you pump in.

Can you post a pic of your setup?

Raceimage
08/23/2011, 10:14 AM
The max head room for that pump is 7ft and it seems as though you are at 5 1/2 ft. Some pump's output (GPH) drops significantly as they approach their max head. You should be able to adjust your durso higher and lower to change the water level in your display. It shouldn't have to be turned upside down. You never want to slow the flow returning to the sump. That will only cause problems. The durso/overflow is how the displaywater height is regulated. If you don't have enough "flow" in your tank, go with a larger pump or add a second pump. You can always put a ball valve on the output side of the pump to throttle back the flow rate if your pump is too big. That doesn't hurt the pump or compromise the system at all. I have a Reeflo Wahoo on my 120gal. It was expensive;however, it is virtually maintenance free and built to last. IT addition to being my return pump, it also supplies the water flow to all of my reactors.

dimitrge
08/23/2011, 11:22 AM
Yea thats me on MHR
Its 3m = 9.85 ft im at about 1/2 of that so im prob. getting 350- 400 gph on. Im thinking of flipping the sump and shortening the run or making the durso higher to get the display level up. The pump holds the water below steady right now.but if i add water to the sump it wont kick it up. I was also thinking of maybe adding a bead of silicone to the top of the gate to control flow a little better.

Ill add a pic later when I get home. Thanks for the advice in advance

Raceimage
08/24/2011, 04:56 PM
with an overflow in your display tank, adding water to your sump will not raise your display's water level. Your overflow/ durso will control the display height.

allsps40
08/24/2011, 07:23 PM
With RR tank the overflow should drain whats being pumped in, in an equal amount. If the pump stops the overflow will stop draining. Unless you have to large a pump and your overflow cant keep up. But that is not your problem. What you have going on should only happen if you are having a siphon effect from your drain, but this cant happen with a RR overflow. I would make sure that the overflow box is sealed, if it is leaking tank water into it from the sides or bottom this could cause a siphon. Hope you figure it out.