PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gallon Long- Divider?

finkjor123
08/23/2011, 06:38 PM
Hey guys, I am posting to ask if you think this would be a good idea/plausible. I want to setup a 20 gallon long with a siliconed divider that separates 5 gallons of the tank for a N. Wennerae mantis shrimp, and the majority of 15 gallons for maybe a goby/pistol shrimp combo with a clownfish or other small peaceful fish and possibly a lowlight coral or two. I have done research so I know it is possible, but do you guys think this would be a good setup? Also, how would I go about installing the divider? I saw Petsmart sells tank dividers, but not sure if they have one that would fit a 20 long, and if i would be better off making one. Also, I don't have any experience with silicone, but I cant imagine its too difficult. Help me out with some feedback! any thing is use full.

K9
08/24/2011, 06:04 AM
Putting a divider in with silicone is totally doable. I'd just worry that the Mantis shrimp would try to smash the glass divider in an effort to get at the critters on the other side. For what you can buy a 5 gallon tank for, I'd put the mantis in something separate.

jeosbo
08/24/2011, 06:42 AM
I agree, it shouldn't be too hard to do, but may not be the best idea. This sounds like a perfect excuse for another tank though!

dylan87
08/24/2011, 09:26 PM
the dividers at petsmart and elsewhere use metal clips which rust quickly. idk anything about mantis but i would do acrylic with holes drilled into it for flow. but honestly 20g tanks are cheap i would just buy a second 1

aj2494
08/24/2011, 09:39 PM
Go get some plexiglass and drill some holes in it for circulation. Then you can just silicone it in wherever you want.

Bama Man
08/24/2011, 11:13 PM
+1, Be sure to get fish safe silicone though. Otherwise you could kill everything with chemicals leaching from the silicone.

hebygb
08/25/2011, 08:39 AM
First of all a Mantis Shrimp can break thin glass. IMHO a typical 5 - 55 gallon tank falls into a "too thin" category of glass. I would rethink sqeezing one into such a small area confined by thin glass. An acrylic tank is a better bet and even then I would advise that it be 3/8 thick (especially the bottom). When they molt they will be banging away at what ever is near... and that may as well be the tank. Perhaps a harlequin shrimp will be a nice display choice for a smaller tank.

finkjor123
08/25/2011, 08:14 PM
First of all a Mantis Shrimp can break thin glass. IMHO a typical 5 - 55 gallon tank falls into a "too thin" category of glass. I would rethink sqeezing one into such a small area confined by thin glass. An acrylic tank is a better bet and even then I would advise that it be 3/8 thick (especially the bottom). When they molt they will be banging away at what ever is near... and that may as well be the tank. Perhaps a harlequin shrimp will be a nice display choice for a smaller tank.

thanks, did some research on the harlequin and looks pretty cool, but does it only eat starfish? seems like that would get very expensive, right? If anyone has info, let me know