PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble dimming T5's - code help needed

soccerbag
08/23/2011, 10:38 PM
I have Firmware 4.10-6D11. I have a Sfiligoi Halide / T5 XR6 fixture. There is 1 RJ45 that was setup for the Apex. It is plugged into the VS1 / VS2 port. The T5's are dimmable but I can't seem to get them to dim. My goal is to have them ramp up from 0-100% (Sunrise), cut off when the halides are on, then come on to ramp down (Sunset) from 100 - 0%. Here is what I've done thus far:

Created Profiles:
T5Rise
Control Type - Ramp
Ramp time - 150 minutes
Start Intensity - 0
End Intensity - 100

T5Set
Same info but start and end switched up for sunset simulation.

Outlet Setup
Created "T5Pattern" in VarSpd_1
Advance
Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 12:30 Then T5Rise
If Time 20:00 to 22:30 Then T5Set

I have 2 banks of T5's. They are plugged into an EB8
They are named T51 and T52 (Outlets)
Both are coded the same:
Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 12:30 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 22:30 Then ON

The T5's work, and the VS ports light up when the RJ45 is plugged in. I just can't get them to dim.

Does anyone see something with my code that is causing the issue? I feel like I'm very close but yet so far away...lol.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can give me:D

soccerbag
08/24/2011, 07:21 PM
Anyone? Apologies for the lengthy post but wanted to give an idea of what I was running. I just need to code reviewed. TIA! : )

RussM
08/24/2011, 08:35 PM
The programming looks fine.

Are you saying that the T5s are on at full intensity during the 2 time periods they should be be ramping up or down?

Is the VS1/T5Pattern outlet in Auto?

Do the T5s turn on and off when you change the T5Pattern outlet to Manual ON and Manual OFF respectively?

soccerbag
08/24/2011, 08:46 PM
The programming looks fine.

Are you saying that the T5s are on at full intensity during the 2 time periods they should be be ramping up or down?

Yes, they are on at full intensity.

Is the VS1/T5Pattern outlet in Auto?

Yes, it is on Auto

Do the T5s turn on and off when you change the T5Pattern outlet to Manual ON and Manual OFF respectively?

No, they do not turn ON or OFF with Manual in the T5Pattern. The only way I can manually turn them on is (manually) with the individual outlets that supply power to them (T51 and T52). I have this set as Auto as well

Thanks so much for the response Russ. VERY much appreciated. My responses are in blue above. I thought the code looked okay. Am just making sure I'm not going crazy : ). Should they turn on with a Manual ON in the VS1 / T5Pattern?

RussM
08/24/2011, 09:04 PM
That info adds clarity... Definitely not a programming issue.

I searched, but couldn't find any meaningful info about the dimming interface in that fixture family (other than it is a fairly expensive option). Googling for "Sfiligoi Apex dimming" did find your build thread on RtoR and AA Featured article though ;)

Did the cable with the RJ45 connector come with the fixture, or is it something you made?

Just for G&G, what happens when you manually turn VS2/VarSpd2 on & off?

soccerbag
08/24/2011, 09:14 PM
Okay, at least the programming piece is correct. I am working with Tim @ Aquatics Elite and we are awaiting a response from Sfiligoi on whether the RJ45 was wired properly (they made the cable and it came attached to the fixture). If it's not a programming issue, then that is likely the case. I'll post the result here as it may help others with similar fixtures / ballasts.

Nothing happens when I Manually turn ON and OFF the VS2/VarSpd2. It has to be wiring!

Thanks so much for your time and assistance with researching Russ. You guys are always very helpful here on the forum. It definitely helps me out BIG time to know that the programming piece is correct. And I hope you enjoyed the article : )

RussM
08/24/2011, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking a wiring issue too. A couple more easy/quick tests, if you haven't already tried: assuming that you are using the VarSpd port in the Apex base unit, plug it into V3/V4 and see what happens w/ manual ON/OFF of VS3 & VS4. And since you have a VDM as well, try the same with its VS ports. If you get the same non-response, this would almost certainly eliminate the Apex system as the problem.

soccerbag
08/24/2011, 09:29 PM
Good call. Will try that as well. I'm leaning towards a wiring issue but it doesn't hurt to exhaust every option from the Apex end as well. Thanks again and have a nice evening!