PDA

View Full Version : Large Crispa Anemone - Just Starting To Bleach

bushwick
08/24/2011, 07:19 AM
Hi All,

Need some advice if I may!

I have 2 large Crispa anemones (1 about plate size, another is easily a plate size and a half). Had these for a good 6 months with no problems. Both anemones are under 150W MH (14K) and both anemones are very high up in the tank. The largest one has just starting to bleach on one side (so far). This is the side that is receiving most light. The side that is receiving less light looks OK at present. Surely its not receiving too much light as the other anemone is fine and is even closer to the other globe. Distance from halide to surface of water is 140mm and to the suspect anemone is 200-250mm from light source.

Water is testing fine, I dont feed them often (maybe every 2 weeks) and feed them around 2 nights ago (both). I'm wondering if the feeding has shocked the anemone, thus why a partial bleach? Would I best to increase feeding or just back of and see what happens in the next few days.

Thanks again.

Cheers

BonsaiNut
08/24/2011, 07:50 AM
Do you have the ability to post a photo?

Anemones can often be a little more complicated than they appear at first glance. E. quadricolor (BTA) often reproduces asexually, and you will often have two anemones that are for all intents and purposes exact mirrors of each other as individuals - including having the exact same zooxanthellae. However H. crispa does not reproduce asexually (or does so only very very rarely), so it is most likely you have two completely different individuals who probably have two different populations of zooxanthellae, and this zooxanthellae may have different lighting requirements. Therefore it is quite possible to have an anemone that will bleach under one light source, while another anemone of the species will not bleach - because it has different zooxanthellae.

Is the anemone actively expelling the zooxanthellae? Or is it just slowly fading away?

bushwick
08/24/2011, 08:49 AM
Do you have the ability to post a photo?

Anemones can often be a little more complicated than they appear at first glance. E. quadricolor (BTA) often reproduces asexually, and you will often have two anemones that are for all intents and purposes exact mirrors of each other as individuals - including having the exact same zooxanthellae. However H. crispa does not reproduce asexually (or does so only very very rarely), so it is most likely you have two completely different individuals who probably have two different populations of zooxanthellae, and this zooxanthellae may have different lighting requirements. Therefore it is quite possible to have an anemone that will bleach under one light source, while another anemone of the species will not bleach - because it has different zooxanthellae.

Is the anemone actively expelling the zooxanthellae? Or is it just slowly fading away?

Hi There,

No the Anemones are totally different. I brought 2 individual anemones from shop at the same time. So yes lighting requirements may be different between the two. One is on the right side of the tank and the other on the left.

No pics, but will post (night time here in Australia) ;)

No signs at all of zooxanthellae being expelled. It's just slowly bleaching (starting on the left hand side tips...right side is not under direct light and seems perfect). Right side is 100% normal. Anemone looks 100% healthy, fully open with no open / gapping mouth etc. Just the bleaching which has me concerned.

Cheers

elegance coral
08/24/2011, 05:46 PM
If it's only bleaching on the most illuminated portions of the anemone, try shading it a little. Place a piece of window screen over the tank, to cast a slight shadow on the anemone. You can try multiple layers of screen, depending on how much shading is needed.

hypnoj
08/25/2011, 12:54 PM
If it's only bleaching on the most illuminated portions of the anemone, try shading it a little. Place a piece of window screen over the tank, to cast a slight shadow on the anemone. You can try multiple layers of screen, depending on how much shading is needed.

+1 for what EC said, also, in general anemone's just don't respond to bleaching the same way corals do (at least BTA's don't). I've had some BTA's that bleach out, go hide and then slowly work their way back into the light. I also have never seen any of my anemone's bleach in sections. Is there a chance anything else is touching that one side?

bushwick
08/25/2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Nothing is touching that side of the anemone at all. I started Vodka dosing just under 3 weeks ago. No3 is still not really high 15PPM but since adding Vodka I have noticed a few corals starting to lighten and also the Anemone starting to bleach. I have stopped the Vodka dosing and will see what happens from here.

Cheers

hypnoj
08/25/2011, 08:02 PM
I don't know if I'd ever start vodka dosing with nitrates so low. Honestly, most anemone's will do good in a dirtier tank ie nitrates around 20 - 30 ppm's. they're not really ideal for these 0 nitrate tanks (even though I'm sure some guys are doing that). They absorb nitrogen wastes. I wonder if you've found your answer out.

bushwick
08/25/2011, 09:00 PM
I don't know if I'd ever start vodka dosing with nitrates so low. Honestly, most anemone's will do good in a dirtier tank ie nitrates around 20 - 30 ppm's. they're not really ideal for these 0 nitrate tanks (even though I'm sure some guys are doing that). They absorb nitrogen wastes. I wonder if you've found your answer out.

I will find out over the next few days I hope if lowering the No3 has caused the Anemone to bleach (possibly). Hope this is the case as I have now ceased Vodka dosing.

Cheers

rfalvey89
08/28/2011, 09:26 PM
Tagging along...interested in this and lighting 14k ,20k, 21k 150w for mine. )not trying to Hijack( just tossing a lollipop.