MikeOB
08/24/2011, 12:51 PM
What's good on hair algae?

LeLutinBanni
08/24/2011, 12:54 PM
sea hare is the best !

ravenmore
08/24/2011, 01:47 PM
chitons (not a snail) and trochus snails. Rabbit fish. Lawnmower blennys.

Keep in mind any algae that is eaten will release the nutrients it captured back into the water column.

mess7777
08/24/2011, 01:51 PM
Nothing beats a tang that likes HA in my opinion. Haven't tried sea hare, but they are ugly as hell and I am worried about the toxic ink release. People say turbo snails are good, but mine are horrible at HA. People say hermits are good, mine are not. Other snails, nope.

I found nothing beats tangs and if they don't do it a toothbrush.

If your tank is too small then the lawn mower blenny should be able to assist if the algae isn't really long.

sporto0
08/24/2011, 02:00 PM
chitons (not a snail) and trochus snails. Rabbit fish. Lawnmower blennys.

Keep in mind any algae that is eaten will release the nutrients it captured back into the water column.

All livestock releases nutrients back into the water, even corals. The trick with all Hair Algae eating critters is to get them in the tank before the algae gets too old & unmanageable, they all like new growth & will keep it undetectable. I've only seen a Seahare eat large clumps of GHA, but good luck keeping them alive.

oupulino
08/24/2011, 02:03 PM
chitons (not a snail) and trochus snails. Rabbit fish. Lawnmower blennies.

One of them I agree has to be Lawnmower blennies

ravenmore
08/24/2011, 02:18 PM
All livestock releases nutrients back into the water, even corals. The trick with all Hair Algae eating critters is to get them in the tank before the algae gets too old & unmanageable, they all like new growth & will keep it undetectable. I've only seen a Seahare eat large clumps of GHA, but good luck keeping them alive.

Yep - but if you have ton of algae and find something that will eat it all, you will be dumping all those nutrients back into the system in addition to what is produced by your livestock. The algae is doing you a favor in the sense it is removing it from the water column and has it trapped inside the algae. This could be weeks or months worth.

A good first step would be to pull out as much as possible and remove it from the system altogether. A good second step would be to encourage algae to grow somewhere else and out compete the algae in the tank for nutrients (such as in a fuge or algae turf scrubber).

CephDude
08/24/2011, 02:40 PM
Lawnmower belnnys suck because they have a tendency to be super aggressive towards other fish... Sea hares are awesome as long as you have covered/protected pumps. Sometimes it is best to find out why you have an abundance of algae, and treat the issue, rather that covering it up. I'd take a look at your phosphate levels, and consider a phosphate reactor :) good luck!

ravenmore
08/24/2011, 02:46 PM
Hmmm - I've never seen a lawnmower blenny be agressive, but I don't have a ton of experience with this fish.

Keep in mind if you have a lot of algae your phosphate/nitrates could still be very low or even non-existant. Doesn't mean you don't have a problem - just means the algae pulled it all out of the water column.

scionreefing
08/24/2011, 03:03 PM
Lawnmower belnnys suck because they have a tendency to be super aggressive towards other fish... Sea hares are awesome as long as you have covered/protected pumps. Sometimes it is best to find out why you have an abundance of algae, and treat the issue, rather that covering it up. I'd take a look at your phosphate levels, and consider a phosphate reactor :) good luck!

Exactly

Raffle grabber

scionreefing
08/24/2011, 03:04 PM
Some urchins eat it. I got some Mexican turbo snails and they ate all mine up.

Raffle grabber

Allmost
08/24/2011, 03:09 PM
depends on your set up.

Turbo mexican snails and black foot snails.

tangs.

sea hare.

lawnmover blenny.

urchin. --- predatory tanks.

ravenmore
08/24/2011, 03:52 PM
Hmmm - I wonder if the lawnmower blenny I just added killed my flame angel. I haven't seen it in days. I recently added the blenny.

scionreefing
08/24/2011, 08:59 PM
depends on your set up.

Turbo mexican snails and black foot snails.

tangs.

sea hare.

lawnmover blenny.

urchin. --- predatory tanks.

I don't think all urchins need protein. Tuxedo urchins and pink rose urchins have done great for me.

Raffle grabber

scionreefing
08/24/2011, 09:12 PM
Hmmm - I wonder if the lawnmower blenny I just added killed my flame angel. I haven't seen it in days. I recently added the blenny.

Probably. I have had a newly added lawnmower go after a shrimp govt and kill it within 1hour at work.

Raffle grabber

Gill_bucket
08/24/2011, 09:13 PM
Sea hare!!!

thornious
08/25/2011, 06:26 AM
My turbo snail took care of mine. Granted it is a new tank and there was not a lot now there is even less :-)

LOTUS50GOD
08/25/2011, 07:44 AM
My naso tang likes it...

ravenmore
08/25/2011, 07:57 AM
Probably. I have had a newly added lawnmower go after a shrimp govt and kill it within 1hour at work.

Raffle grabber

I watched him last night and I didn't see him go after anyone. The angel did dissapear not too long after I added the blenny though. I had another lawnmower for years and year when I first started the hobby and he never bothered anyone. I gave him to my mom when she started her tank. He would follow her finger when she put it against the outside of the glass and moved it around. It was funny as hell. Never gave a second thought about trying another.

Fragsnmore
08/25/2011, 08:42 AM
Turbo snails and sea hares worked for me.

Palting
08/25/2011, 08:46 AM
It depends on your tank size, but no hair algae, or any algae for that matter, can grow in my tank due to the 4 tangs. They are all constantly grazing and keeping it down. Even the coral beauty angel eats any algae left behind by the tangs.

Uncle Salty 05
08/25/2011, 09:16 AM
It is better to address the nutrient issue that is fueling the algae rather than depend on your livestock to take care of it. (water changes, adding a refugium, running GFO in a reactor etc.)
That being said, Kole (yellow eye) tangs are good grazers.

sanchoy
08/25/2011, 11:40 AM
sea hare is good, however once dead can be a pain..

IMO rabbitfishes are best among fish at eating HA. They have the teeth to pull out the weed.