PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with the FLEABAY LEDs?

csmfish
08/24/2011, 08:50 PM
I have seen listings for them and they seem (note I use the word "seem" loosely) cheap. I have ordered stuff from china before and they all came out okay stuff. i even ordered a touch screen gr a GPS and that worked awesome. Love my $10 GPS and so proud of myself for fixing it that I pat myself on the back everytime I used it (hey, should have seen what it took to replace it!!), lol. Anyways, what about the LEDs on there like this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/3W-High-Power-White-19-000K-LED-DIY-item-/110710761760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6e02920 ?

SkullV
08/24/2011, 11:02 PM
That picture looks like a FEDY chip (Chinese). They seem to work for some people, but who knows how long they will keep their spectrum/intensity.

taku
08/25/2011, 01:42 AM
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I've done my best to avoid buying any Chinese products the past couple years. From clothes to dog toys, I try to spend my money on local/National products even if it's a couple bux more. Besides, when is the last time you heard someone say XYZ Chinese product is the leading product on the market... so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything good anyways. Good luck with your search! But it's pretty obvious I recommend not buying it :D

csmfish
08/25/2011, 08:14 AM
Are the ones that the US fish sights selling US made units? If so, I may look into them, but my guess is they get them from overseas too. Maybe not the same company thats on ebay, but, the same ones from another company???

ravenmore
08/25/2011, 08:19 AM
To be honest you can't avoid buying products from overseas. Just about every product has parts/materials/assembly in the far east somewhere.

However, a bigger reason to try is that the SOB's have infiltrated dozens of our countries (and lots of others as well) computer systems - including military, government, and government contractors. They have been stealing our intellectual property for over half a dozen years.

Phishguy
08/25/2011, 09:20 AM
I bought those LEDs for my mantis tank. Its a 30g oceanic and I'm using 8 of them. It serves it's purpose for what I'm using it for. I have several softies in there as well as some broken pieces of some sps. Everything is doing well! Not sure I'd use them on a main display reef tank but at the price, it might be worth a frag tank trial run

rhino509
08/26/2011, 01:14 AM
To be honest you can't avoid buying products from overseas. Just about every product has parts/materials/assembly in the far east somewhere.

However, a bigger reason to try is that the SOB's have infiltrated dozens of our countries (and lots of others as well) computer systems - including military, government, and government contractors. They have been stealing our intellectual property for over half a dozen years.

elaborate please.seems to me 'they' have given us decent products at more down to earth prices than we can even get at home....

and didnt we,america,take our business there? and continue to do so now....

ravenmore
08/26/2011, 08:22 AM
elaborate please.seems to me 'they' have given us decent products at more down to earth prices than we can even get at home....

and didnt we,america,take our business there? and continue to do so now....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/03/cyber-spying-report-china_n_917141.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/chinese-hackers-hit-major-energy-firms/

to quote the second article "That information is tremendously sensitive and would be worth a huge amount of money to competitors," said Alperovitch.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/chinese-hackers-hit-major-energy-firms/#ixzz1W95JBSX2

csmfish
08/26/2011, 08:56 AM
I would be ****ed at them if it were not for the fact that we dip our ink well into other countries business affairs too, WAY too much than we need to. We are not innocent and above anyone else, we just dont see or know what we do, kind of like the ostrich with its head buried. If America wants to live rich the way we do and a third world country can make something cheaper, then so be it. I dont think there is any other place on earth that has every square inch of grass planted routinely cut, talk about a waste. Anyways, that's another story for another time.

This is about me paying out the nose for rent in America and trying to find the cheapest lights for my tank because of it. If America doesnt offer me the goods at the price i can afford due to this fact, so be it overseas. I think I give enough money to the American economy that I am justified to get the lights abroad.

So, now, all I need to do is make sure the ones I DO get are going to give me what I need.

frankpayne32
08/26/2011, 09:02 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/03/cyber-spying-report-china_n_917141.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/chinese-hackers-hit-major-energy-firms/

to quote the second article "That information is tremendously sensitive and would be worth a huge amount of money to competitors," said Alperovitch.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/chinese-hackers-hit-major-energy-firms/#ixzz1W95JBSX2

Yeah...but two of those articles are from fox news... You have to take any news piece by any company that has an extreme political agenda. And I'm not just picking on the Right. I would be suspect of something that a company on the extreme Left side said too.

ravenmore
08/26/2011, 09:13 AM
I absolutely DETEST Fox news with a passion. The fact that I'm posting anything from them should say a lot. I just grabbed a couple of articles - there are more from a variety of other news sources (although it's hard to find 'nuetral' news sources these days).

I've had personal contact with this issue by the way. I don't want to go into details because I don't want to disclose anything my employer might get ticked about, but it is really scary stuff.

**edit** that is also why I threw in the Huffington post article - a decidely liberal news source. This is not a political issue IMO.

Phishguy
08/26/2011, 09:59 AM
The reason you don't hear much about it is very simple... You don't call attention to something that would put you in the middle. My point being, without first hand knowledge, I'd be comfortable in saying that the US is doing the same exact thing to them. All china would have to do is say, you do it too...
As for fox news, or most any news for that matter, last night I watched something eye opening and I guarantee that any who watch it will be blown away. If you have comcast, go to on demand and search for "hot coffee". Specifically its in hbo documentaries. I promise, you will think differently about a lot of things after you watch it

Khemul
08/26/2011, 01:00 PM
If you have comcast, go to on demand and search for "hot coffee". Specifically its in hbo documentaries. I promise, you will think differently about a lot of things after you watch it
That case is a common case study in business law courses. Basically on how not to design a product. :lolspin:

Not sure it is really as sinister as they make it out to be. It is more media laziness when it comes to reporting on legal matters. They figure the average watcher/reader/listener has no idea what is going on and isn't entirely interested so theere is no reason to go through the trouble of really explaining it.

As for the OP question. A lot of the Chinese stuff is perfectly fine. The key thing though is where the expensive parts are. If the expensive parts are superficial or not easily broken then the Chinese stuff is usually good. If the expensive parts are expensive because of safety regulations (it's mostly fixed by now but google 'Odyssea fire' for an example) or easily delicate/fragile then avoid them.

flyhigh123
08/26/2011, 01:37 PM
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I've done my best to avoid buying any Chinese products the past couple years. From clothes to dog toys, I try to spend my money on local/National products even if it's a couple bux more. Besides, when is the last time you heard someone say XYZ Chinese product is the leading product on the market... so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything good anyways. Good luck with your search! But it's pretty obvious I recommend not buying it :D

I truly love my iphone... chinese made :D

schristi69
08/26/2011, 02:16 PM
Real easy to make cheap stuff when government and business control everything like pay, housing, etc. Workers making things for Walmart are housed in company dorms which they are charged for, married couples are not allowed to live together, etc. Their policies are like those of factory workers at the turn of the 20th century. Basically owned by the company. Your desire for cheap goods contributes to this. Communism used to be evil and needed to be stamped out. Now they are our the source of most of our imports. Funny how ideology goes out the window when dollars are involved.

NanoReefWanabe
08/26/2011, 08:16 PM
and back to the topic at hand...

i dont think those particular LED's are overly efficient...it would appear they only put out about 160 lumens at 650mA where as CREE XPG are somewhere in the range of 130Lumens at 350mA...half the power almost the same light...i am sure if you setup 48 of these things in an array it wouldnt be as cheap as one might think to run to get the same light you could out of a similar amount of good LED's at half the power..half the power also means less heat and longer usable life...

csmfish
08/27/2011, 12:23 AM
Thats definitely something to think about. Thanks for the spec check :artist: