PDA

View Full Version : reef safe magnets?

MRICKEN1012
08/24/2011, 10:14 PM
Are there reef safe magnets and where can I get them?

I'm wanting to put some on my powerheads bc the suction cups don't hold very well.

66deuce
08/24/2011, 10:53 PM
CMS Magnetics has what you need. http://cmsmagnetics.com/index.php

I've got 4 power heads being held up in my tank for a few months now. Depending on your glass thickness, you may use a smaller or bigger size.

I've got 1/2" thick glass and am using 2 of their Neodymium Rare Earth Epoxy Coated Magnets to hold up my heavy power heads. The ones I have are the black epoxy coated and the size is 1" wide x 3/8" thick.

Call them. They are very helpful over the phone. The website does not show their entire inventory.

66deuce
08/25/2011, 07:21 AM
Forgot to mention that these are VERY powerful and to use caution when using such strong magnets.

I used velcro from Home Depot/Lowes and cut and glued to the magnet sides that would touch the glass. The soft velcro is on the outside glass and the scratchy side is inside the tank(kinda like the scratchyness of an algae scraper). Then I carefully super glued one to the pump and dropped it in and then used the outside magnet to magnetize and mate to the glass. They have worked great for months now.

These have major strength so use caution. They can attract from over 1 foot away!

mfinn
08/25/2011, 08:59 AM
I have found that even the epoxy coated neodymium magnets will rust after a while in saltwater.
I usually have to use a casting resin to make a thicker coating on them to hold up over time.

mfinn
08/25/2011, 09:01 AM
Are there reef safe magnets and where can I get them?

I'm wanting to put some on my powerheads bc the suction cups don't hold very well.

what kind of powerheads?

MRICKEN1012
08/25/2011, 11:45 AM
Anyone know how think the glass would be on a standard 50g breeder?

MRICKEN1012
08/25/2011, 11:45 AM
Thick*

psteeleb
08/25/2011, 12:16 PM
anyone know how think the glass would be on a standard 50g breeder?

could be 1/4" or 3/8 (6 or 8mm)

66deuce
08/25/2011, 08:54 PM
I have found that even the epoxy coated neodymium magnets will rust after a while in saltwater.
I usually have to use a casting resin to make a thicker coating on them to hold up over time.

I've had mine for 6 months so far and the only 1 that rusted was one that I chipped while installing in my tank. Did you get yours from the same place?

mfinn
08/26/2011, 08:20 AM
I've had mine for 6 months so far and the only 1 that rusted was one that I chipped while installing in my tank. Did you get yours from the same place?

Yeah I tried some there, but I found some better deals at
www.magnet4less.com and www.magnet4sale.com
at different times. The prices change month by month so I looked around.
I made powerhead holders for seios and maxijets, before they made them.
I also made a bunch of frag racks.
Even the black epoxy coated magnets I bought for outside the tank on the frag racks would start rusting eventually. They all seem to have tiny hair line scratches, which allows the saltwater to get in.
Don't get me wrong, they are great magnets for diy projects, but just need a little more long term protection, IMO