PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an RO DIY Plans

goldmullet
08/25/2011, 10:08 AM
Hey guys. I just a brand new 240 galloon tank and I want to make my own RO system. Are there any plans or links to how to make one?

Also, for my tank fish only, how big of an RO system do I need. I have limited space.

Thanks

jeosbo
08/25/2011, 10:47 AM
If I am incorrect here I appologize, I have never really looked into this subject but...
It seems like a huge part of the cost of many RO units lies in the filters which you would need for a DIY. I understand the urge to build your own, and maybe because of space restraint you may need to, but a lot of DIY is based on saving money and in this situation it would probably be better to just spend the little bit extra and buy one.

goldmullet
08/25/2011, 10:49 AM
Hey sorry I dont mean I want to make my own RO unit. I want to buy and RO unit but just want to see if there are plans of how to set it up? For example what barrels I need, what tubing etc.

I will buy the actual RO unit. Ha, that would be a tough build.

jeosbo
08/25/2011, 10:59 AM
Hey sorry I dont mean I want to make my own RO unit. I want to buy and RO unit but just want to see if there are plans of how to set it up? For example what barrels I need, what tubing etc.

I will buy the actual RO unit. Ha, that would be a tough build.

Ah...sorry bout that then :headwally:

goldmullet
08/25/2011, 11:02 AM
Ha all good. Dont worry. I like the head smacking though.

billdogg
08/25/2011, 12:05 PM
You can use any size barrel you like. The ro/di water does not care if it is stored in a 1g milk jug or a 1000g commercial vat. Use watever fits in the space you have. Many use a brute trashcan of the appropriate size. I use an old plastic 55g barrel. It is easiest to hook it up someplace close to where you need it, but if the house plumbing makes that difficult, under the kitchen sink will work also. Quite a few people don't really have it plumbed permanetly at all - there are adapters available to hook it up to the faucet.

Without knowing more about your setup it is impossible to be more specfic.

goldmullet
08/25/2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the help. So its pretty easy to do huh?
You say I should do it for sure cause I have a 240 gallon tank, its way cheaper then buying saltwater from the the fish store right?

So my tank and the location of where the RO will go is like 40 feet away. I have an outdoor closet where I can do the RO. So I just need to see what fits in there for a bucket then start making it.

How big of a bucket it big enough? All you need it enough for one water change right? So like a 50 gallon change will be fine?