PDA

View Full Version : Test kits

MikeOB
08/25/2011, 01:08 PM
Best test kit? Who using what?

dzfish17
08/25/2011, 01:12 PM
For the basics (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) I use API. The API test kit is easy to use and fairly accurate.

sporto0
08/25/2011, 01:18 PM
I use Salifert for magnesium, Seachem for calcium & Red Sea for Alk on my reef tank.

vwwanksta69
08/25/2011, 01:37 PM
I've used API and never had an issue

aandfsoccr04
08/25/2011, 01:42 PM
I use salifert for just about everything. I'm thinking about the hanna test kit for phosphates though.

disc1
08/25/2011, 01:46 PM
I've been using Salifert for alk, cal, and mag. Have some Seachem for the nitrogenous species. I don't test phosphate.

I like the seachem calcium test. I have one, I just prefer the salifert test. I don't like the seachem mag test. The filtration step is a huge PITA and a source of error.

My only complaint with the salifert kits is the mag kit as well. It can be hard with that test to see the end point of the titration until you've gone past it. I have to start looking at the number on the syringe before every drop near the end just in case the next drop puts me over I'll know what the last reading was.

Allmost
08/25/2011, 01:50 PM
Elos hands down.

hanna for alk and po4.

but it all depends ! on what you are after !

for example ... some systems like mine, require a steady, KH of 7.0. so API is not really usefull for me, as the readings are not that accurate ...

but if you are testing alk, just to be sure it has not dropped much, then API is just fine !

and at the end, all the tests that we have, are a range at best !

snorvich
08/25/2011, 04:06 PM
Elos hands down.

hanna for alk and po4.

but it all depends ! on what you are after !

for example ... some systems like mine, require a steady, KH of 7.0. so API is not really usefull for me, as the readings are not that accurate ...

but if you are testing alk, just to be sure it has not dropped much, then API is just fine !

and at the end, all the tests that we have, are a range at best !

Elos for Ca, Alk, Mg. Hanna for low level phosphate.