PDA

View Full Version : I need more light!

leewilson_8
08/25/2011, 04:43 PM
Hey everyone. I hava 72" 135 gallon tank. I have an AquaticLife T5 ho fixture with 4 actinic and 4 420/460 white bulbs. I want to add some more light and dont know which route to go Im concidering either the 24" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs or a JBJ Viper K2 150w. I currently have 312watts of t5 and I want to be able to grow sps. I was thinking of getting 2 of either of those lights one for each side of the tank and hiding them behind my 72 inch fixture. I dont know which light would better compliment my current light. Any suggestions?

Saadatski
08/25/2011, 05:36 PM
well neither will give you the right spectrum to grow SPS. Do alot more research into lighting before buying another fixture.

Robert62779
08/25/2011, 06:31 PM
rule of thumb is 3-5watts per gallon of water... so your gonna need at least 2-3 250 mh to do the job. depending on what corals you want might need to go higher.

Saadatski
08/25/2011, 06:51 PM
never use Watts/ gallon, sorry lol

I had to learn that eventually. You have to get lights that are intense enough to penetrate CLEAR water, and also lights that will give the right spectrum. Also careful planning of corals is very important. SPS definetly need high placement in the tank.

right now, T5s and LEDs are the lights that have proven themselves reliable and efficient. look into them. I would maybe also sell your unit right now, and get yourself a good 6 bulb 60" ATI sunpower. they are great fixtures and will allow you to grow anything.

AcMonster
08/25/2011, 09:20 PM
Outside of the power usage, MH still have the most bang for the buck. 3 250's would light the tank up real good, but also use a bunch of energy. There is a good used market for T5's and MH as people are jumping to LED, so buy used and you'll find a great deal. Good luck!

rtparty
08/25/2011, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone. I hava 72" 135 gallon tank. I have an AquaticLife T5 ho fixture with 4 actinic and 4 420/460 white bulbs. I want to add some more light and dont know which route to go Im concidering either the 24" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs or a JBJ Viper K2 150w. I currently have 312watts of t5 and I want to be able to grow sps. I was thinking of getting 2 of either of those lights one for each side of the tank and hiding them behind my 72 inch fixture. I dont know which light would better compliment my current light. Any suggestions?

Changing your bulbs is the best option right now IMO. Aquatic Life bulbs are weak.

I would go with 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus and 1 KZ New Generation on each side of the fixture.

Look into maybe adding some LED strips down the road. I really like Ecoxotic LED's because I have experience with them and they work. I haven't tried any other LED's really. Reefbrite makes a great LED strip that will attach right to your current fixture.

The Grim Reefer
08/25/2011, 10:18 PM
Only 4 rows of lamps? I would just get the 60" Sunpower with 6 lamps.

Cut your losses and do it right now, TRUST ME! I've been where you are more than once. You'll end up spending more to try to make what you have now work and in the end spend the money on the right thing anyway so save yourself the money and aggravation.

leewilson_8
08/26/2011, 05:52 PM
theres actually 8 rows of light. Theres 4 actinic and 4 420/460

The Grim Reefer
08/26/2011, 06:42 PM
8 rows front to back or two sets of 4 36" lamps side by side?

leewilson_8
08/28/2011, 12:34 AM
two rows of four 36" bulbs. I would by a new fixture but this fixture is only 6 months old and I cant afford a whole new fixture thats why I'm trying to supplement this one

The Grim Reefer
08/28/2011, 12:49 AM
two rows of four 36" bulbs. I would by a new fixture but this fixture is only 6 months old and I cant afford a whole new fixture thats why I'm trying to supplement this one

You could DIY a couple banks of Royal Blue LED's, one in front and one behind the T5's. Those with a couple blue and a couple daylight style T5's would look sweet. Other than that even a couple 60" T5 retros would work too.

MGM_
08/28/2011, 06:36 AM
Have you looked at aquatraders? Outside of the stock bulbs being suspect (they will work for a while) it is decent fixture for the $$$

rtparty
08/28/2011, 08:51 AM
Have you looked at aquatraders? Outside of the stock bulbs being suspect (they will work for a while) it is decent fixture for the $$$

Save the money and put it towards a better fixture. You will just spend the money at some point in this hobby or you will leave the hobby when issues arise.