PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce output noise and spray?

janalta
08/26/2011, 11:56 AM
I have a Fluval 350 canister filter and the output is driving me nuts !
Sounds like a waterfall and splashes everywhere !!!!

It was livable when I had my old lights and hood on...but I just installed my new T5 HO fixture and without the hood, it is going to be a mess.

What can I do to reduce the noise and especially the splashing/spraying??

lexiz1
08/26/2011, 12:20 PM
Not sure what the output looks like on the Fluval but had a similar issue with my magnum 350. I went to the LFS and bought a new output/diffuser that was longer. You can also build your own. Most parts available at a descent LFS. Get the output below the water line.

janalta
08/26/2011, 12:35 PM
I could easily just lower the output so that it is below the water line, ...but....doesn't it have to be above water level?

Uncle Salty 05
08/26/2011, 01:00 PM
No.
It can be below the surface of the water. You just want it to make the surface "churn" so you get good gas exchange.

janalta
08/26/2011, 08:02 PM
Ok, thanks. That will be a pretty simple fix if it works ! LOL

NakedClown
08/27/2011, 07:31 AM
Justs lower the output house close or even in the water. it has enough output to serve as a mini powerhead. if you cut your tube to short, you should be able to get teh extra hose at your LFS. you cant turn down the output on those so the only thing you can do is lower it.

janalta
08/27/2011, 10:50 AM
Actually, I can turn down the output on mine, but even as low as I would want it, was still making too much noise.
Lowered it to water level last night...problem solved.
this morning....problem back again. LOL
It's been really hot here....with that, and putting on my new T5HO yesterday......had major evaporation going on and the output is no longer under water. So, going to have to start topping the tank off every day now until the weather cools down.

NakedClown
08/27/2011, 03:28 PM
Do you have nay fans running? even 1 little fan will help A LOT