PDA

View Full Version : Coral QT?

BCreefmaker
08/27/2011, 03:50 PM
I am trying to keep my tank pest free this time around. I was wondering what the time frame and setup required to setup a QT for coral? Barren tank hooked up to a sump with LR/maco/skimmer? Or is it like a fish QT and there is no LR? I know many pests can come in on a frag as a spore ect and take years to establish into a visible pest, but how long is it suggested to QT corals? 2-3 months? The pest that plagued my last tank was colonial hydroids. Is it true peppermint shrimp can kill them? I was planning on doing freshwater, iodine and coral RX dips to help kill any pests as well. I realize some pests like macro algae will not be effected.

b0bab0ey
08/27/2011, 08:10 PM
I setup a invert/coral QT using a 20 gal long w/T-5 lighting. Put some LR in it, a Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 Pro for flow and an AquaClear 50 HOB power filter. Everything gets QT for 2 months in there, same as my fish QT.

Of course, this would only work for QT softies/LPS.

BCreefmaker
08/28/2011, 08:50 AM
so a coral QT tanks is essentially a second reef tank? I assumed so since I have really only heard of dip treatments for corals. Can I QT fish in the same tank? Or should i use a sterile setup for them?

b0bab0ey
08/28/2011, 11:27 AM
so a coral QT tanks is essentially a second reef tank? I assumed so since I have really only heard of dip treatments for corals.

Yes, because most corals aren't going to live for 2 months in QT without "reef quality" lighting. And adding LR keeps your parameters stable and things like ammonia in check. You don't need a lot of LR, but some.

Can I QT fish in the same tank? Or should i use a sterile setup for them?

You can, but if they end up coming down with a disease (like Ich) and you need to medicate, you'll have to do that in a separate tank anyway. And these days, it seems like problems like Ich are becoming more and more common. Most people just go with a small, bare bottom QT for their fish. Heater, HOB power filter (with sponge insert) and you're good to go. Or use an air-driven sponge filter or a sponge sleeve with a powerhead. Just something to contain bacteria. You don't even need a light.

Ron Reefman
08/28/2011, 11:55 AM
Take a poll and see how many people 'do' or how many people 'think you should' quarantine corals. I think a large percentage just acclimate and put in the DT, another large percentage dip, acclimate and put in the DT, and only a small percentage quarantine. I only quarantine corals I collect in the ocean (which isn't many). And they only get 2 weeks. If they look OK, they go in the DT. Store bought and corals from reefers I don't know well get dipped. Corals from reefers I really trust; acclimate and into the DT.

b0bab0ey
08/28/2011, 12:37 PM
Nowadays I both dip my corals and then QT my corals/inverts for 2 months, only because I'm paranoid about Ich. I have in the past "washed" my corals/inverts off with s/w from my DT right before I put them in, without QT. I've read this might "wash away" any parasites/diseases attached. Can't say for sure whether or not this helps if you decide to forgo QT.