PDA

View Full Version : Foxface Lymphocitis

barscaz
08/27/2011, 04:49 PM
Hello, new to the forum. At least this is my first post. Have used the forum for the wealth of information it provides in the past. I have a Foxfaced Rabbitfish currently housed in my 75 gal reef. About two weeks a white spot appeared on one of its fins. I identified it as Lymphocitis, and have read that it is a viral infection, either non-contagious or very low transmission rates, and is not treatable. Best treatment by leaving the fish in the display and providing it with good water conditions (as I am). Apparently the virus will run its coarse and all the spots and lumps will disappear. I had read that survival rates are high as long as the mouth is not infected. Early last week the Foxface's mouth began to grow a lump. He can no longer close his mouth, but is still able to eat flakes, pretty plump fish to begin with, still plump and as bright as can be. So my question is when can I expect this to clear up? Will having his mouth infected cause him too much stress for his immune system to beat the virus? I can post pics if needed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

b0bab0ey
08/27/2011, 08:36 PM
Lympho mostly just goes away on it's own, provided you supply excellent water quality and vitamin enriched food (selcon helps) to help the fish's immune system fight it off. But even if you do all that, there's still no guarantee, no 100% success rate. I've lost fish to lympho. I have a PB Tang that gets lympho off and on, she never seems to be completely cured of it.

It sounds as though your Foxface might be losing this battle. The only other thing I can suggest is cleaner shrimp. I've seen cleaner shrimp eat off the lumps. The fish will still have the virus... but not the external symptoms. Of course, by the time you get finished QT the cleaner shrimp for 2 months either the lumps or the fish will probably be gone.

barscaz
08/27/2011, 09:20 PM
I have a cleaner but they have shown no sign of interest in each other. The lump in his mouth is pretty bad (jaw spread wide open). I don't know how he eats what he does. I was afraid that's the answer I was going to get. So although he's still eating, plump, with good color it will likely take him down? I have noticed him getting less active, not lethargic just seems more like an otherwise "healthy fish" losing desire...

MrTuskfish
08/28/2011, 10:19 AM
Like human viruses; any virus in fish is really tough to fight or predict. You can just keep the fish as healthy as you can and hope for the best. There are many common viruses that can develop into a fatal condition with people; no reason to think the same doesn't hold true for fish.

b0bab0ey
08/28/2011, 11:13 AM
Like human viruses; any virus in fish is really tough to fight or predict. You can just keep the fish as healthy as you can and hope for the best. There are many common viruses that can develop into a fatal condition with people; no reason to think the same doesn't hold true for fish.

+1

As long as you're doing everything known that can be done for lympo (excellent water quality/vitamin enriched foods) there's not much else you can do, my friend. Hope for the best, but prepare yourself for the worst.

The only other two things I can think to tell you is to increase the frequency of your WCs and soak all of his food in selcon (or garlic).

barscaz
08/28/2011, 03:44 PM
I believe I am. Waters clean, fed formula 2 products with garlic. One last thing I forgot to mention. The outbreak came with the addition of a small Tomini Tang. The Tomoni is in good health, active, and feeding well. I think this may have caused the Foxface a little stress. The addition of a not quite aggressive, but very bold fish who is within his niche. No real aggression between the two, but there was a definite "warming up" period. They now get along just fine now, and on occasion swim along side one another. I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

barscaz
08/30/2011, 03:54 PM
http://m.flickr.com/?done=1&id=6098146694&magic_cookie=fe5ea683b9261eff89eac53257f0aa45&title=Foxface+Lymphocitis+Mouth&description=#/photos/66968458@N07/6098162092/sizes/m/

sandwi54
08/30/2011, 04:33 PM
picture doesn't show?

barscaz
08/30/2011, 08:26 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/6098146694_31791fe03d.jpg

barscaz
08/30/2011, 08:28 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6069/6098162092_51b363783d.jpg

barscaz
08/30/2011, 08:43 PM
He's slowed down a lot and has taken to "hosting" in a Xenia colony (no joke), weirdest thing I've ever seen. Seems like its a comfort thing rubbing against it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6198/6098871288_372e94d40b.jpg

MrTuskfish
08/31/2011, 10:51 AM
Looking at the head on pic; this fish seems to have a lot of ich-type spots. Especially on the pelvic fin. I don't see anything that looks like Lympho.

barscaz
09/01/2011, 07:35 AM
I have seen plenty of fish with ich (thankfully none of mine). I'm no expert but I do not believe this is ich. He's been infected with what I believe to be lympho for about a month now, swimming around my display. No other fish show any signs of illness. I've never seen ich cause the growth he has in his mouth or the flesh bumps (look under the dorsal fin in the photo) on his side. The white spots on his fin (tough to tell in the pic) seem too big for ich, also if you look close where the pectoral fin meets the body there's a tan growth like the one in his mouth. From what I've read about lympho, it is a viral infection that causes cells to enlarge causing wart like lumps (similar to the wart virus in humans). If you think about it, the white spots on his fins make sense (enlarged clear fin cells), the mouth (just being flesh), the spot below the dorsal (yellow lump, yellow scales, or the flesh underneath). I'm almost positive. I could be wrong, but I'm certain it is not ich. And I'm looking at his head (I know you only have the pic to go by) there is no white spots. May have been micro bubbles stuck to him when I took the photo. Skimmer acts up after cleanings.

MrTuskfish
09/01/2011, 08:43 AM
Could have been the bubbles, that happens a lot. you didn't mention the growth in the mouth in the earlier posts, unless I missed it. I thought he had a pebble of shell in his mouth. That could be lympho, but I think its some kind of tumor. Almost all Lymphocystis I've seen this size are lumpy and resemble cottage cheese. In any case, I think you're doing all you can for it, hope for the best.

barscaz
09/01/2011, 12:59 PM
Thank you.