PDA

View Full Version : Getting frustrated with low calcium levels....

NaCL Aquarist
08/27/2011, 09:04 PM
We have been trying to raise the calcium levels in our 90 gallon tank, with little success.

Have been adding B-Ionic daily in an attempt to stabilize, and raise calcium levels. Aug 1, the Ca was only 370. Regular daily additions of B-Ionic brought the Ca only up to 380 by Aug 25. Fed up, with the lack of change, I switched to Tropic Marin Bio Calcium. But on Aug 26, the Ca nosedived to only 365, the day AFTER the suggested dosage with Tropic Marin.

The alkalinity levels keep going up, even though we are not getting an increase in Ca. The dKH fluctuated between 10.5, and lastly dropping to 10.0.

With the one dose of Tropic Marin, the dKH has spiked to 11.7. Will this harm the tank livestock, or the handful of corals in the tank?

HOW...can we get the calcium levels up, without getting the dKH too high?

Ph is 8.4. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphorus levels are zero. Mg is 1260.

Will our fledgling corals grow with Ca levels well under 400?

Getting pretty frustrated here. Don't want to keep screwing around with tank chemistry, for fear of causing bigger problems. Help...anyone?

jscarlata
08/27/2011, 09:33 PM
Maybe try another test kit? Could be a bad test kit or inaccurate...

kgross
08/27/2011, 10:09 PM
what is the salinity in your tank? And as js suggested have you double checked with a different test kit?

Now with that said, just use a calcium suppliment, you can use a calcium chloride product, or even just the calcium part of your B-ionic. It will take quite a bit to raise it. You can use the reef chemistry calculator to figure out how much.

On your drop from 380 to 365 that could very easily just be testing error. An error of 25-40 ppm is very very normal so shoot for a general level not a specific level, ie 425-475 rather than trying to put it exactly at 450.

Kim

krzyphsygy
08/27/2011, 10:45 PM
Use a calcium chloride product such as Kents Turbo Calcium, This will not raise ALK, just cal. I had the same problem and it was a killer but i finally realized I needed Calcium chloride. The high alk will drop on its own.

2thdeekay
08/27/2011, 11:15 PM
How certain are you of the Alk and Mg readings? Could it be possible a high reading for either?

kgross
08/27/2011, 11:24 PM
Are you cyber stalking me again 2thdeekay?????

2thdeekay
08/28/2011, 12:26 AM
Got me again Kim. My kids could walk to your house to see what you're up to, no need for cyber... :D

smokenax
08/28/2011, 11:13 AM
If you magnesium level is low you will not be able to stabilize either alk or ca.

smokenax
08/28/2011, 11:16 AM
Try shooting for 1350 to 1400 on the mag.

NaCL Aquarist
08/28/2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks, all, for your good input.

I think our testing is relatively accurate, as we have tested this tank with both API, and Salifert tests. All of the most recent testing has been with Salifert.

Kgross...the the salinity on the tank is 33. Further thanks for the words of wisdom on general levels, rather than specific levels in testing. Makes a lot of sense t'me, with the possible errors in titration. Initially, will try adding only the Ca part of the B-Ionic to see if there is a raise.

Will definitely consider adding the Kent Turbo Calcium. Thanks...krzyphsgy. I also found one old 2007 thread on RC that recommended the Kent product, for correcting Ca.

Smokenax, I am also disappointed in the low magnesium levels. Although they are currently close to 3X the present Ca, which I thought was a correct ratio. I thought by adding the B-Ionic, it would support the mg profiles as well as other things. I dunno...though. I thought that, by adding a Ca supplement, the other elements in such products would help boost the mg at the same time? Thanks for the target recommendations for the mg levels. How do I boost the mg levels, without screwing something else up?

Still lost and confused.

bertoni
08/28/2011, 03:43 PM
The magnesium level is fine, and I would leave it alone. You'll need to add a calcium chloride product (like the Turbo Calcium) to raise the calcium level without spiking the alkalinity. You could dose just the calcium part of the two-part, but that gets expensive. This calculator will help with a dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I'd dose no more than 100 ppm per day, and likely half that for the first dose, since the calculator requires a guess as to the actual water volume of the system.

NaCL Aquarist
08/28/2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks, bertoni, for your advice, and link to the calculator. Will certainly give 'er a try....

NaCL Aquarist
08/28/2011, 06:41 PM
If we use B-Ionic Part 2 to raise the Ca, the reef calculater does recommend almost 3 cups of buffer for 120 gallons (tank plus sump). We do have this product on hand though, and would have to drive 45 miles to buy the Turbo Calcium. Local stores do not have the Turbo product, unfortunately.

Unlike the Turbo Ca product which is just Ca Chloride,...the Bi-ionic part 2 has a complement of trace elements as well. Will adding a large amount (over several additions) put in an excess of trace ionic elements? Would this be harmful?

bertoni
08/28/2011, 06:51 PM
I don't think the trace elements would be harmful directly if you limit the dose, but they might in theory fuel a bit of dinoflagellate growth, I suppose. I added some large doses of B-Ionic when I was using it, and didn't have any problems, but I didn't have any touchy stony corals.

ReeferBill
08/28/2011, 06:56 PM
I have noticed with my own reefs that when the alkalinity is to high I do more water changes to balance out the water conditions. Since I changed to Reef Crystals it has been easier to keep my cal and mag up. Now I use natural sea water and after a water change I do not need any buffer....Do some extra water changes with Reef Crystals or any reef grade salt with extra cal and mag....:wave:=

NaCL Aquarist
08/28/2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks...Reefer Bill, for the recommendation to use a different brand of salt. I will try to find a comparison between Reef Crystals, and Instant Ocean, to see which product is higher in Ca and Mg. We have only used IO in our two tanks. Would make sense, to use the products higher in Ca and Mg, especially when we have routine ca reductions in reef tanks.

Percula9
08/28/2011, 11:28 PM
If you go to your local hardware store and pick up some damprid, this product is calcium chloride. You can raise calcium with no problems and is cheap. I have been using it for the last year with no problems.