View Full Version : is this a Tiger Tail Cuc? please

Ralph ATL
08/28/2011, 10:22 AM
is this a Tiger Tail Cuc? please!
(or just as "safe"?)

Holothuriidae

mndfreeze
09/01/2011, 06:10 AM
That does not look like a tiger tail to me.

coralnut99
09/01/2011, 06:48 AM
I can only assume you're referring to the blue-green collection of Polyp-shaped appendages? If that's the case, I seriously doubt it's a cucumber at all. Most likely a nudibranch of some sort. The gorgonian and halimeda in the picture make me want to say it's a carribean species that came in as a hitchhiker. As far as reef-safe, you should ask yourself how long you think it's actually been in there. Certainly some guesswork there, but in some cases a reasonable approximation can be made. Has anything suffered/disappeared during that time? If no, I would simply keep an eye on it and see if the animal appears to be thriving and not doing so at the expense of another tank inhabitant. Nudibranch requirements can be very specific so that death is a virtual certainty, and others can do fine with a couple of different types of film algaes, etc. If you're the patient, curious type that approach may work for you. If you're not, remove it and bring it to a LFS and they'll sell it to someone who is.