PDA

View Full Version : breeding saddleback maroon clownfish

fishyfish22
08/28/2011, 03:01 PM
my female saddleback maroon clownfish is pregnant. her stomach got larger, and she seems more agressive. don't know if the gressive thing is a sign. i am wondering if i leave them there in the tank, will they raise the fry or eath them? they are wild and i bought them a pair. is there any way i could somehow keep them in the tank and let nature take it's course? i recently bought a yellow sabae anemone and a bii-color long tentacle anemone.
fish are:
blue hippo tang
yellow tang
4 yellowtail damsels
condy anemone
and 2 peppermint shrimp with 2 coral branded shrimp. tank is a 125 gallon, and i think they will be getting ready to host the yellow sabae anemone.

have a few corals
within the next two weeks i will get copepods and chaeto.
has anybody had any success in doing this?

mr9iron
08/28/2011, 03:12 PM
Congratulations on the preganant female. However, the fry will most likely die if you leave them in the tank to be raised by their parents. They will most likely become food for the other fishes and invertabrates. There is a ton of info on this site about raising the fry which will make for some interesting reading. You basically have to set up a secondary system and hatch live bbs and rots. It's a lot of work but I hear it's very rewarding and something I intend to try in the future.

elegance coral
08/28/2011, 03:52 PM
You will need to do some studying. The fry won't survive in your tank.

Toddrtrex
08/28/2011, 03:57 PM
FYI, that yellow "sebae" is most likely a dyed H. Crispa -- their survival rate is poor, at best.

fishyfish22
08/28/2011, 05:47 PM
oh. i was wondering why i couldn't find much info on the internet about it.

phender
08/29/2011, 05:19 PM
A couple things.

There are saddleback clowns (A. polymnus) and Maroon clowns (P. bimacul.... something).
There is no saddleback maroon as far as I know. A pic would help.

IME, breeding female clowns don't get really fat and stay that way for more than a couple days. The time between egg formation and egg laying is fairly quick. When I have a clown that gets really fat, it is usually either constipation or a tumor.

Again, a picture would be very helpful.

elegance coral
08/29/2011, 06:51 PM
A couple things.

There are saddleback clowns (A. polymnus) and Maroon clowns (P. bimacul.... something).
There is no saddleback maroon as far as I know. A pic would help.

IME, breeding female clowns don't get really fat and stay that way for more than a couple days. The time between egg formation and egg laying is fairly quick. When I have a clown that gets really fat, it is usually either constipation or a tumor.

Again, a picture would be very helpful.

I think they're talking about A. ephippium. I've heard them referred to as "Maroon Saddlebacks". Fautin and Allan even refers to them as "Red Saddleback Anemonefish", in their book. This is why I hate common names though.

fishyfish22
08/30/2011, 06:16 AM
can't upload pics right now but it looks sort of like that only the mouth and some of the tails are yellowish

fishyfish22
08/30/2011, 06:17 AM
heres a link, but it's not the one i have. just the same species
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/242745/product.web

elegance coral
08/30/2011, 06:28 AM
That's A. polymnus. There's no maroon on those fish. They're simply referred to as "Saddleback" clowns.

fishyfish22
08/30/2011, 06:34 AM
heres a link, but it's not the one i have. just the same species
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/242745/product.web