PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a dyed anemone

fishyfish22
08/28/2011, 06:21 PM
i recently bought a sebae anemone from my seller and i joust found out that it was dyed. what can i do with it? i mean in a good way. is there any other way to un-dye it? i am hoping i can make it better so it can be happier. also waiting for clowns to host it, will they host dyed anemones?

kcinnick
08/28/2011, 06:47 PM
I would rehabilitate it in a hospital tank... that way when it dies it doesn't cause any trouble in your display. Keep it fed and keep your parameters up...

A dyed anemone is a death sentence, the governor might call at 11:59, but he probably won't.

fishyfish22
08/28/2011, 06:54 PM
here are some pics.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/riveramg/DSC02458.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/riveramg/DSC02459.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/riveramg/DSC02460.jpg

danreefs
08/28/2011, 07:43 PM
Im not sure with sebae's. I do know with some other nems it ends with death. What a wast its a nice looking nem to :(

fishyfish22
08/28/2011, 07:53 PM
Im not sure with sebae's. I do know with some other nems it ends with death. What a wast its a nice looking nem to :(

yeah. they look very good, and people just don't like things the way they were presented to us and try to change them.

BonsaiNut
08/28/2011, 08:39 PM
Hey Fishyfish - you have started three threads with the exact same subject and same photos :) Perhaps you can focus on one thread so we can all answer the same questions :)

fishyfish22
08/28/2011, 09:30 PM
yeah, sorry about that. i first put one thread, then put another thread about a subtopic, and then another about a subtopic for the subtopic. sorry for the threads.

garygb
08/28/2011, 10:54 PM
What you can do is provide the anemone with excellent conditions and hope it recovers. It can be successful. What are your water parameters, lighting, etc.?

fishyfish22
08/29/2011, 05:58 AM
lightign:2 vho bulbs each 160 watts
water params:just found out yesterday i needed an in-tank thermometer which i might get today. just ran dry on test kits, except for some REALLY expired ones from 2004
filtration:sump, bio-balls, skimmer, same old stuff.

xtlosx
08/29/2011, 06:36 AM
Hey fishyfish, from your pictures the rock looks new, how old is your tank? The sebae looks real nice but time will tell how it survives.

By the way, you are kinda by me, where did you get your sebae? I know of a local place by me that always has dyed sebaes.

Good luck keeping your nem alive.

fishyfish22
08/29/2011, 10:35 AM
tank has been set since about mid-june. have a condy that is doing amazing so i assume it is safe to add anemones. got it from THE FISH WAREHOUSE. usually a good seller. got all of my fish except for the condy and 4 yellowtail damsels from there.

fishyfish22
08/29/2011, 10:36 AM
oh, the rock is just covered in sand. underneath there is a lot of coralife algae, green and purple growing. can never seem to get rid of all of the sand from the rock.

xtlosx
08/29/2011, 10:38 AM
tank has been set since about mid-june. have a condy that is doing amazing so i assume it is safe to add anemones. got it from THE FISH WAREHOUSE. usually a good seller. got all of my fish except for the condy and 4 yellowtail damsels from there.

I'm friends with Bob on Facebook actually but never visited his place... It's disheartening to hear people dying these nems and then defending it.. There is a LFS that had a super yellow sebae, and I mentioned to them that it must be dyed as these nems do not come yellow in the wild. They assured me they know the collector, and this is a natural color..

Needless to say, I don't spend any money with them anymore, it's unfortunate people do this.

fishyfish22
08/29/2011, 10:39 AM
he told me, but i must have not heard. those are actually pretty good people there. their fish are good though.

Toddrtrex
08/29/2011, 10:45 AM
he told me, but i must have not heard. those are actually pretty good people there. their fish are good though.

If they are knowingly selling dyed anemones (( and I am not sure how they wouldn't know it )) they are not, IMO, good people.

38bill
08/29/2011, 03:58 PM
How do you know its dyed? I though that they could be a creamy yellow color naturally? The dyed ones that I have seen have always been a very bright yellow or pink.

sjkarrow87
08/29/2011, 04:04 PM
38bill, I was at the same store he was and almost almost bought one however I knew they had to be dyed. These anemones were as bright yellow as you could imagine. And the fact the were right next to a handful of blue/white long tentacles only makes a stronger point that they were dyed

fishyfish22
08/29/2011, 04:26 PM
Were the anemones you bought the bi-colored ones? Because those were One of the two I bought.

FLKeysGirl
08/29/2011, 04:26 PM
If they are knowingly selling dyed anemones (( and I am not sure how they wouldn't know it )) they are not, IMO, good people.

I totally agree, altering the natural state means they don't care about the sea creature - that's an auto walkout for me. It's unfortunate some places care more about making it "pretty" to sell it and then give a story when you come back for another unknowingly than they do about the live stock.