PDA

View Full Version : What is the best starter acro??

jtasmul1
08/28/2011, 08:37 PM
Trying to get a few opinions on what the best starter acro is. I know there will be a lot of different opinions,just trying to get a majority decision I guess. I have heard green slimer, but would still like to hear others opinions.

t4zalews
08/28/2011, 08:51 PM
starter acro or SPS? If acro, then yes..the slimer is pretty simple to keep. If SPS id suggest a birdsnest or pocci. To be honest, if your water quality is good and you have good water movement and lighting...any acro is easy.

Felixc395
08/28/2011, 09:19 PM
I agree, if you have good water quality and husbrandry, you're set. But I understand that you want to know which have more tolerance in stressful situations. Usually green slimer is considered indestructable. Any general named acros like green acro or blue acro are also great. You have a lot of choices. Mine was a green/purple efflo, differs for everyone.

REEF SMAC
08/28/2011, 09:35 PM
Slimer or any other hairy or large branch staghorns. They are fast growers and seem to be a little more forgiving. They will turn brown, but usually don't die right away if they're not happy.

jtasmul1
08/29/2011, 02:27 PM
Yes I was referring to acros. I have had a bird of paradise for around a month and it looks very nice held its color, great polyp extension. I also have a cap that was pretty bad when I got it (fellow local reefer) that had been beat up and shaded pretty badly. Was real discolored and now is getting more orange each day. also have some digitata frags that are growing nicely. Water quality is good
Calcium is 450
Alk is 11dkh
nitrates 0
p04 0
My main concern is my water temp fluctuates with halides on goes from 78 to 81 is that to much of a swing or still ok?
Thanks for the info.

chessmanmark
08/29/2011, 03:33 PM
Try to get something tank raised from someone nearby. I had success with a Valida that came out of a fellow reefers tank.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/chessmanmark/IMG_4067.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/chessmanmark/IMG_7786.jpg

bobkill
08/29/2011, 09:47 PM
Chessman- I bet that local reefer is mad at u for taking his brown guy and turning into that colony !

gp2
08/29/2011, 09:48 PM
+1 on aquacultured, avoid maricultured or wild initially. I don't think that temp flucuation will make much of a difference. Chessman is that colony sticking out of the water?

bobkill
08/29/2011, 10:00 PM
Jt I am not sure on the temp swing- ( i run t5 ) but I am sure it would be okay- and I would take ur kh down to 8, keep phosphate low and lots of flow - my first was a green mill in Decemeber and now it is huge- just be patient and if it goes down hill frag it before you lose all of it - I would just. Get a cheap piece for a local person and give it a shot - but becareful it is a addictive road

BillyC
08/29/2011, 10:57 PM
Stags are also super easy to keep. My first real acro was a red blue-tipped stag and it is growing like crazy.

chessmanmark
08/30/2011, 09:08 AM
+1 on aquacultured, avoid maricultured or wild initially. I don't think that temp flucuation will make much of a difference. Chessman is that colony sticking out of the water?

I was doing a water change and took a top down shot to show the entire colony. It had great growth, but not out of the water.

jporter
08/30/2011, 09:51 AM
I had really good luck with both peralberry, and red planet. They have both been fats growers.

d0ughb0y
08/30/2011, 10:09 AM
Trying to get a few opinions on what the best starter acro is. I know there will be a lot of different opinions,just trying to get a majority decision I guess. I have heard green slimer, but would still like to hear others opinions.

best starter acro is whatever you can get for free from local reefers. just ask in your local reef forum and there will be some generous reefer that will step up and offer you a frag or two to start with.

jtasmul1
08/30/2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all the info.