PDA

View Full Version : Live Shrimp Out of Nowhere?

mess7777
08/29/2011, 05:41 AM
Hi all,

The last couple days in my sump I have seen a handful of extremely small shrimp, only a few mm long. They are transparent with two black eyes and a black stomach sack. Everything else is translucent. I have trouble to see if they are in fact shrimp, they are so small I can't make out the characteristics.

I do have two cleaner shrimp, but I read that the babies are generally all going to die before they are large enough to see. Is it possible it is small cleaner shrimp, or is it more likely some mysis that was living in the rock that has now gotten to a population point where some need to move out?

Either way, I am really happy to have some free fish food, and they do a lot of cool moves, flipping around in the water and what not. Guess that was the selling feature of sea monkeys, lol.

Sugar Magnolia
08/29/2011, 06:47 AM
Probably a mysis bloom. :thumbsup:

frankpayne32
08/29/2011, 06:47 AM
I suppose it's possible they are cleaners but I think mysids are more likely. I wouldn't really feed them anything extra. They will make good sump cleaners and a decent food supply if they make it to the display.

mess7777
08/29/2011, 07:13 AM
I suppose it's possible they are cleaners but I think mysids are more likely. I wouldn't really feed them anything extra. They will make good sump cleaners and a decent food supply if they make it to the display.

I wonder if they are too big to get through a return pump? (Maxi-jet 1200). Chances are even if they make it there I will never know it since they are so small and will get gobbled up.

Ron Reefman
08/29/2011, 07:14 AM
Any chance these are just copepods?

mess7777
08/29/2011, 07:16 AM
that would be fine too :) however they don't have the shape of the pics i have found. (more round at the top) These are almost like a translucent stick with two little black eyes and a black gut.

At first glance they reminded me of baby fish fry.

Guess I will find a magnifying glass to find out.

mess7777
09/14/2011, 12:16 PM
wow these things have grown quickly and multiplied like crazy. i still don't know exatly what they are, but who cares, free fish food!

JDMhoes
09/14/2011, 12:20 PM
chances are that it's baby cleaner shrimp. My cleaner shrimp had many sprees on her own. Had yellow eggs under the tail and few days later..I saw what you describe in my sump. They will eventually die, so don't get to excited..hehe