PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier

amydale3
08/29/2011, 12:34 PM
A friend of mine recently asked me, why I wasn't using the water from my humidifier to top off my tanks. Anybody ever test that water to see if is actually usable water. I don't have all the testing equipment to give him an answer. Please advise what you think.

blt
08/29/2011, 12:47 PM
You mean dehumidifier, right?

I've thought about it as well, but haven't tried it. It's essentially the back half of a distillation process. I'd think it would work as long as you keep the equipment reasonably clean, but would love to know if I'm missing something in that theory.

EllieSuz
08/29/2011, 12:53 PM
I would guess it's a bacterial breeding ground. Standing water gets stagnant pretty quickly. I've seen other threads addressing this issue and the consensus was that it's not advisable. If you do a search of dehumidifier you can check out other threads on this subject.

mcrist
08/29/2011, 12:53 PM
This has been discussed before and is generally not considered a good idea.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2006009&highlight=dehumidifier

blt
08/29/2011, 01:01 PM
Standing water wouldn't be an issue if you did a direct drain line - but the metal coil could definitely be an issue I hadn't thought of.

disc1
08/29/2011, 01:38 PM
The coil, and the leftovers from the manufacturing process are the kickers. Even a real distillation apparatus isn't going to make clean water if it is dirty. So even though the process looks like distillation, that doesn't neccesarily mean that you are getting clean water.

snorvich
08/29/2011, 05:42 PM
The coil, and the leftovers from the manufacturing process are the kickers. Even a real distillation apparatus isn't going to make clean water if it is dirty. So even though the process looks like distillation, that doesn't neccesarily mean that you are getting clean water.

This.