PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps HOB skimmer

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 07:36 PM
Looking for pros and cons to this skimmer. I had originally planned to go for the aquamaxx HOB skimmer, but it's a bit expensive considering this Eshopp skimmer is $70 cheaper and rated the same. This tank will be in my room, so noise is a consideration, and I also want to run a fuge in the JBJ 28, so size is also in consideration.

EDIT: just noticed the price on the seaclone model as well, so would like opinions on that one too. Thanks!

John

john miller
08/29/2011, 07:46 PM
I have the PSK-75H and love it. So much so I have two. It was a bit challenging to get it set up right in the beginning and the micro bubble problem was so bad I actually took it out for awhile. Turns out it was mostly MY fault, go figure. If you check by build thread I have just gone through almost exactly what you're planning, HOB skimmer & fuge.

I got a flyer in the mail a few days ago for one $105 shipped if I can find it.

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 07:59 PM
Sounds excellent! Is noise an issue at all for you? my fresh tank is right next to my bed and I've got an eheim spray bar filter set up on that, so It doesn't have to be silent, I'd just rather not have a lot of rattling and what not. From what I've read it's a very reliable skimmer. And you think I'll have enough space for this on the back of a JBJ 28?

any reviews on the seaclone?

John

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 07:59 PM
double post.

john miller
08/29/2011, 08:14 PM
Can't find the flyer but here is a link:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/248674/product.web?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c248674

Just remember that several of the sponsors of this forum will price match (Premium Aquatics & Marine Depot I know for sure) so I try to support them as much as possible.

Noise is not an issue for me, runs almost completely silent after break in (I have 4 tanks in my bedroom, soon to be five). One of my Eshopps is on a 28 gallon Nano Cube. Go read the thread and I'll answer any questions you have.

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 08:18 PM
Just got done looking at your build thread, seems you had quite a bit of trouble with micro bubbles, did you ever get that resolved? I did see that you managed to get it to fit in the far right compartment, so I could just a homedepot light for fuge instead of having to spend 50 on the JBJ light, which makes me like it more :D so the gurgling noise went away after you broke it in, or should I still tape the return like you did early on?

John

john miller
08/29/2011, 08:35 PM
The micro bubble problem was mainly my fault. It was a combination of not having it adjusted correctly and not giving it enough time to break in. After everything was said and done I found that the skimmer works best in compartments 2 & 4 since the water level remains constant. No more gurgling noise either. The tape served it purpose but is not on there any longer.

I ended up taking out the chaeto. The space in the stock basket was so small and it grew so fast that it was clogging up and restricting flow. The chaeto couldn't get adequate flow and was causing bad cyno issues. I run filter floss, purigen & chemi-pure now with no issues.

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 08:37 PM
I noticed you have a piece on the air tube from an MJ, is that something you think is necessary, or should the nosie be fine without it? Would I still need to cut the lip on the JBJ like you did?

John

john miller
08/29/2011, 09:01 PM
Without it it makes an annoying noise, kind of a high pitch sucking sound. I think any type of air valve will work. I only used that one because it's what I had on hand. After break in the loudest thing on that tank is the hum from the return pumps, which isn't much.

Without cutting the lip you won't be able to get the stock media basket out.

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 09:05 PM
seems like a pretty simple fix. Did you you just cut it, or did you remove that section of the lip?

John

VaderWS6
08/29/2011, 09:10 PM
I run a 100H on my 25 gallon cube, runs perfect and pulls out some nasty skimmate daily.

john miller
08/29/2011, 09:11 PM
I messed around with it for about 30 minutes trying to be real careful not letting anything fall in that tank but ultimately just shoved a big wad of filter floss under it and used a coping saw. Took two minutes and the floss caught 95%. You only have to remove the lip.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx106/jmillers62/nano%20cube/DSCN3386.jpg

DBreefs
08/29/2011, 09:26 PM
I have the PSK 75H on my 28 Gallon Nano cube, and I love it. I will second that it can be a pain getting them going, and getting them set correctly, but after you get that worked out it really does a great job.

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 09:26 PM
Whats the foam for under the skimmer in that picture?

John

john miller
08/29/2011, 09:35 PM
It's for vibration. Now no plastic on plastic rubbing together, no squeaking. It is the packing foam that came with the skimmer.

IndexKey
08/29/2011, 09:41 PM
Wow, I really think I'm sold on this one, the price is right and it seems like a good quality skimmer after set up :D

John

john miller
08/29/2011, 10:00 PM
Just don't be in such a hurry (LIKE ME!) and allow adequate time to break in. My tank was new so there wasn't a whole lot to pull out which means it takes longer to break in. New tank I would guess at least 4 weeks. If you can't stand the micro bubbles (LIKE ME!) then you can put a filter sock on the output and it will take 90% out. But the downside is you have to change it out every few days.

-RYknow
08/30/2011, 02:19 PM
I too have psk-75h. Unfortunetly I broke it, and I need a new part. But prior to that, I had some amazing luck with this skimmer. I had been using it for almost two years. A couple simple mods I did was on the air intake line, I put a maxi-jet air valve. This way I was able to control that amount of air the skimmer pulled. I was able to get some really dark, pasty, stinky skimate this way! The only other thing I did was ditch the "bubble trap" that comes with the skimmer on the return line, with the round foam "filter" that comes with a mag 5 pump. I cut it down a bit so it wasn't so long and unsightly. After using the mag 5 filter I had zero micro bubbles whatsoever!

All in all, this has been a fantastic skimmer! But now I get to put Eshopps to the test for real. I'm going to have to test there customer support. My pump is leaking, which is my fault. But I hear they are very difficult to get ahold of....we shall see.

-RYknow